Menu

Where to buy a good stationary bike?(and other questions)

It's official, I gained back two pounds....:glare: With that in mind, I seriously need to get back into gear!!

The weather has started to take a turn for the cold around here, and because of that I have become very limited in exercising. I love to walk, but do not have the money or the space for an elliptical, treadmill, or gym, but can easily accomadate a stationary bike. I lost 12 lbs last summer biking as my main exercise, (the extra three I lost with walking) and my legs were really toned due to that fact. I miss biking and I know that a stationary bike would be good for me as I have gotten a little lazy with the cold front coming in. Does anyone know where I can find an inexpensive stationary bike that can work wonders?:D

Edit: Also, how can one maintain a steady diet in the winter, I am finding that the cold weather brings more hunger and I want to eat without feeling guilty about eating too many carbs.

Thank you!:bigear:

There is such thing as a frame that props up your actual bike to turn it into a stationary bike. I personally did not like using it, but if you are a seasoned biker, this may be a great option for you. (For me, it was too painful on my...erm, personal area...to sit on that seat. I purchased a recumbent bike, which has a big, wide seat and a more reclining position, so that has been great.)

There is such thing as a frame that props up your actual bike to turn it into a stationary bike. I personally did not like using it, but if you are a seasoned biker, this may be a great option for you. (For me, it was too painful on my...erm, personal area...to sit on that seat. I purchased a recumbent bike, which has a big, wide seat and a more reclining position, so that has been great.)

Ugh, I forgot about that ....area..., is a recumbent bike more expensive or the same and just as good?:bigear:

I don't remember if it was more expensive than a stationary bike; it's been several years since then. Let me look a second...Mine looks similar to this. I want to guess mine was a little more expensive than that; I think it was a little over $200.00. It takes up more space than an ordinary bike would. It has a longer frame because of the (comfortable) way you sit on it. My legs extend out towards the front, so it's very gentle on my other body parts! I also like that mine records speed, mileage and calorie expenditure. It's perfect for me.

I have never used a regular stationary bike. I've only used a traditional bike set on the stationary frame stand. It was literally impossible for me to get an acceptable workout that way because my tush just could not take the bike seat for more than 15 minutes of biking.

I don't remember if it was more expensive than a stationary bike; it's been several years since then. Let me look a second...Mine looks similar to this. I want to guess mine was a little more expensive than that; I think it was a little over $200.00. It takes up more space than an ordinary bike would. It has a longer frame because of the (comfortable) way you sit on it. My legs extend out towards the front, so it's very gentle on my other body parts! I also like that mine records speed, mileage and calorie expenditure. It's perfect for me.

I have never used a regular stationary bike. I've only used a traditional bike set on the stationary frame stand. It was literally impossible for me to get an acceptable workout that way because my tush just could not take the bike seat for more than 15 minutes of biking.

A little pricey, but it looks extremely comfortable (now I know why you bought it) but because like my mom says, I am young and active, a stationary bike should suit me fine for now:tongue_smilie:. Thank you for the suggestion and the help!!:)