Menu

Veritas Press question

LAmom

I am attracted to both TOG and Veritas. I also like the lessons planned out in MFW but not sure it is working for us. I start looking into Veritas, think it looks great and not as overwhelming as TOG and then read someone saying that it is Western focused and not focused on other parts of the world. We want to raise our kids with a strong missions focus, knowing about all peoples of the world and the history there.

Can anyone speak on this? I am not very educated when it comes to history so what is exactly lacking in VP? How would I add to it to make it more complete and what I am looking for? Is this not a problem with TOG? Can you give me an example?

I know it isn't a problem for MFW.

Thanks for input. Trying to grasp what others are saying about it.

Have you looked at the Veritas Press Self-Paced history courses? We are using that next year with the added literature selections that are suggested, just to help round out our history for next year. They have samples of the courses on line.

Another thought, you can search through the old threads about Veritas/TOG/MFW... chances are someone has already asked a similar question and you can go back and peruse all of the answers. I glean a lot of helpful information from old threads all the time.:001_smile:

HTH

I agree that Veritas is Western Focused but I plan to round out the focus by adding in 4 things:

1. SOTW audios in the car (and maybe when we finish VP SP History we will do some of the SOTW activity books)

2. The New CC History Timeline coming out this winter which is much more world focused supposedly

3. During family devotions we read a little bit about other people groups or countries and pray for them.

4. When they get in 7th grade I plan to add Around the World in 180 Days from Apologia and I think that has a focus on missions or their prayer needs but I'm not totally sure about that.

stm4him

I'm jumping in a little late here...

We used VP OT/AE, and I found it to be true that it is focused on western history. I was aware of this before ordering and I chose to go with the schedule from Easy Classical which lines up with VP's years, but also adds in SOTW chapters on eastern/African history.

I haven't used any of the other years of VP history; ds didn't care for it and much preferred SOTW, so we stuck with that. But you might consider Easy Classical or look at these lists on Redshift that coordinate SOTW w/ VP. I think they also used to have a list to coordinate CHOW, but I don't see it now. CHOW is one of VP's resources listed on the back of the cards, so if CHOW covers eastern history, that could be helpful (I'm not sure if it does or not; haven't used it).

HTH!