Menu

tell me about hake grammar

Tell me about Hake Grammar.

What do you like about it, or dislike?

I'd probably use it for just grammar for one child, not sure on the next child.

What do I need to buy? Where is it best to buy?

How many grammar lessons are there? Are they daily? How much time does it take? How much writing does it take?

I like Hake because it's secular, thorough, independent, and cost-effective. I haven't really come across anything I dislike about it at all, actually.

If you're using it for just one child, you can allow the child to write directly in the book rather than copying answers into a separate notebook. I plan on using my copies twice, so my dd's won't be allowed to write in the book. If asked, my dd11 would probably say that's the one thing she doesn't like about Hake. Other than that, she's happy with it. And she's never really been happy with grammar before this.

We spend about 45 minutes on Hake work each day. We do copywork or journaling or dictation first, which takes 5 to 10 minutes, then I have her do the day's lesson or test independently, which takes about a half hour.

I bought my books from Rainbow Resource.

HTH.

The teacher manual contains answer keys for all the lessons, plus the tests and answer keys for the tests. If you want to do the tests, you definitely need the TM. If not, and you have a good grasp of grammar, you could just buy the student book and grade the lessons with your own knowledge. But even with buying the TM I found Hake to be affordable, so I didn't mind buying. I use the tests too, so I needed the TM.

I researched this out a few weeks past and decided to go with Hake for next year as well. You can follow this link to the official website and actually look at some lessons to get a good feel for it.

Because we are going to continue with WWS next year, we will not be doing the composition part of Hake. We'll use the grammar lessons only and combine them with VFCR and our WWS program. (I would do the same with R&S, Shurley or any other grammar curriculum that includes composition. It just isn't necessary when you're already with a good, solid writing course, are doing dictation regularly, as well as history or science responses, book reports, etc.)

Blessings,

Lucinda

That's correct.

ETA: I just flipped through the student workbook. There are some mad libs and some extra grammar practice sheets at the back, but the majority of the book is for the writing lessons only. I probably won't use the extra grammar practice sheets because the main text book has plenty of practice already.

Edited by RegularMom