Menu

Rhetoric TOG lit classes online?

Has anyone taken a TOG rhetoric lit class online? What all does it entail? We're looking into one for next year (year 3, if that matters), but there's not a lot of info about what they actually do in the class. Do they read the same books as the TOG year 3 plan if we were doing it at home, and do they do the same writing assignments? I know TOG offers separate writing classes, but do the lit classes also have some writing components in them? Thanks!

Are you a part of the yahoo groups based on the TOG year? If not, join the year you are considering. Then ask for people to e-mail you privately if they have taken the class. Then you can ask the questions and they can be honest. DO NOT ASK IN THE GROUP ITSELF. People get banned for saying anything negative. I LOVE TOG, but those groups have made me mad on more than one occasion when I was being honest or recommending something else because TOG wasn't a good fit. That said, it is an awesom treasure trove of timeline figures and other things, so I join the year I need. I just keep my mouth shut publicly.

Thanks, choirfarm. I'll check out the groups. :)

Although we've not done Rhetoric, my dd is taking "Bridge Literature" this year with LLC (the TOG online department), which uses a mixture of Dialectic and Rhetoric books. This is her 2nd year with LLC, and she loves it.

They read the book during the week, then usually have assignments to complete before the class day, such as author profile sheets, plot worksheets, character analysis sheets, character lists, chapter summaries, new vocal, and single out excerpts to talk about in class.

During class, they read & discuss excerpts, discuss certain passages in the book, cover literary elements, and sometimes they present Power Point presentations that they made during the preceding weeks.

Overall, she is learning a lot and likes the class, particularly the weeks on poetry.

Are you a part of the yahoo groups based on the TOG year? If not, join the year you are considering. Then ask for people to e-mail you privately if they have taken the class. Then you can ask the questions and they can be honest. DO NOT ASK IN THE GROUP ITSELF. People get banned for saying anything negative. I LOVE TOG, but those groups have made me mad on more than one occasion when I was being honest or recommending something else because TOG wasn't a good fit. That said, it is an awesom treasure trove of timeline figures and other things, so I join the year I need. I just keep my mouth shut publicly.

:iagree:

It's a shame that Tapestry doesn't ask the groups to close down and send traffic to their website forum where more honesty is allowed. Unfortunately I think many folks who might be open to sharing good but critical advice, have left the groups.