Menu

High School Grammar 9th grade

In the WTM p.477 it states that you should use the Rod and Staff 7th grade grammat text for 9th grade, the 8th grade text for 10th grade and so on. Am I to understand that after completing RS 7th grade text that it would be the equivalent of 9th grade grammar? I am trying to start a high school transcript this coming school year which is new to me. Please comment/ clarify if you would. I'd appreciate the help.Thanks

IF done in high school, I would assume this is true. However, many people start R&S much earlier and so do these levels in 7th and 8th grade. It is my opinion that they should continue grammar study. Grammar is even done as part of college comp classes to some degree. I don't have my book handy, but if I remember right, an alternate schedule is given for students who have done this, yes?

Now if you're asking because you'll be using those books in 9th and 10th grade, then yes, you can feel quite fine about it fulfilling the grammar part of your English credit. It's something *I* would have struggled with ("but it's only 7th grade grammar!), but I do trust TWTM to the degree that I'd be willing to give credit there.

Was that clear as mud?

Pamela,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions. I am asking because my son just finished the 7th grads R&S book in 6th grade. People have told me that you can start giving high school credit in 7th and 8th grade if the child is ready for high school work but I don't necessarily know what constitutes a "high school level" grammar program. The chart in TWTM suggests that the 7th grade R&S book would be the equivalent of freshman grammar and I just needed some input as to whether I was interpreting that correctly. I agree about students needing to continue with grammar study and I would like to start counting credits as soon as I can in hopes that he can CLEP out of some college level courses during his junior and senior years of high school.

I would allow your student to CLEP, AP, etc out when ready regardless of age/grade.

However, I wouldn't give high school credit til high school.

A few people will give math or foreign language credit for 7th or 8th grade, but I personally figured the college people are smart enough to figure out that a 9th grader who is doing Spanish II had Spanish I in jr. high.

I used R&S 7th for my dd when she was in 8th grade. During the summer of that year, we covered the topics in the 8th grade book that had not been covered in 7th. The R&S curriculum does such a thorough job with grammar, we felt she was ready for English Comp and enrolled her in the local junoir college for Comp I and II her 9th grade year. She received both high school and college credits for the courses. This gave her an audience for her papers (always a struggle at home), so it was a good alternative to just doing more grammar at home. It was also relatively inexpensive, and a good experience to prepare her for the college setting while still at home.

We finished R&S 8 in 8th grade, and I felt we'd done more than enough grammar. So in high school my dc concentrate on literature and writing. It's listed on the transcript as "English."

However, if we hadn't finished R&S before high school, I wouldn't have a problem utilizing it as part of the overall English credit. It really is a thorough program and contains, by the 8th grade text, as much or more grammar than most public high school students get.

If you just wanted to award the high school credit for the grammar portion of the Rod and Staff course that would be fine. From my own experience teaching in the public schools here, the whole RS series (through the 8th grade book) covers much more grammar than most students will ever see in high school! However, I would have a problem awarding the composition/literature analysis portions of the English credit fromwork done in middle school. That's just me!

Our state university admissions counselor spoke to our home school group this past summer. He said it is perfectly acceptable to award high school credit for math, science, and foreign language courses taken in middle school - assuming they are high school courses.

Surprisingly, he wasn't concerned about what compromised an English course. He just wanted a book list from each semester!

Go figure!

Denise in NE

Well this is quite interesting and affirms what my original thoughts were regarding the grammar portion of a High School English credit. I do agree that literature analysis and composition would be high school work. A book list for each semester for the literature portion sounds simple enough although I am sure it really depends on the specific college and their individual requirements. Thanks Denise in NE!!:001_smile:

My oldest dd completed Rod and Staff doing the level that corresponded to her grade level. I agree that the 8th grade course is more grammar than I had in college! The 9th and 10th R&S books are pretty much review of 8th with more editing practice along with the composition assignments. I would not hesitate to use 7th in 9th and so on, in fact, that is what I am planning to do with my younger dd's. They have been doing R&S on grade level as well and we are going to chill for 2 years and "cement" what they know with Winston Grammar and Winston Grammar Advanced. For writing, we will use Writing Strands.