Menu

Algebra-Teaching Textbooks and Math Relief Comparisons

Hi,

I can't give a comparison, as I have not used TT, but we have used the Firebough Algebra 1 program. It starts out with the assumption that the child knows very little math and then moves from there. This frustrated our daughter initially, but after insisting she give him a chance, she came to really appreciate his deceptively simple way of explaining things and then slowly making them more complex. She credits him as the first teacher to really explain to her how to figure out algebraic word problems in an easy way. my only misgiving (and this is true of other programs as well) is that I am not certain if these and the other books we have used follow at all the same sequence and how to know if we have covered every topic thoroughly. Some of these topics are pre-algebra and a few areas that were covered in other algebra 1 books, seemed to really get their due in his algebra 2 program. I found/find this a challenge in basic math, too, but it is harder for me to figure out the best sequence at this level.

Hope this helps!

TFJ

Like the others, I cannot compare *directly* to TT because I chose to go with MR after a thorough comparison of the two. However, I can tell you *why* I decided to go with Math Relief.

First, my thoughts about TT:

1. I found the TT's textbook very engaging. I didn't mind the "wordiness" of the text and thought the authors brought in interesting historical/real world notes on the various topics. A definite plus.

2. TT's methodology is decidedly "incremental" ala Saxon. In short, this means that each lesson introduces a small bit of new information, has a few practice problems on the new bit of information, and includes a problem set consisting of problems mainly from previously studied topics. In other words, most of the problems in a given problem set *do not relate* to the topic of the lesson, but to previous topics. I, personally, do not like this approach. I used R&S for elementary math and thought it had a well executed mix of practice on new topic with just enough review of the old unlike Saxon which was too much review and not enough new.

3. The problems to be solved in TT problem sets are on the lighter side compared to *many* other standard algebra texts. This makes the problem sets more doable for many students. However, my children have always done well in math (even if not their favorite subject), and I didn't particularly desire "easier" problem sets.

4. The video instruction consists of a white board with writing and a voice over. It seemed to be decently done, but my personal preference is to have an actual person teaching.

Now, for MR:

1. Mr. Firebaugh is an experienced Algebra teacher with *years* of teaching experience. This shows in the kinds of information he imparts while teaching the lessons. As one poster noted, he won't assume that the student knows algebra and begins at the very beginning, defining terms, etc. My very bright student was frustrated with understanding terms and their associated signs from a previous math program (eg. why is 1-7 the same as -7+1 when there is no + sign in the first equation) from a previous math program and Mr. Firebaugh's explanations on what a "term" consists of cleared up all his questions.

2. The lessons build on themselves and the exercise problems start out with what the student knows and builds in complexity--in one given set and over a few days.

3. There is no textbook (I would prefer one but only worksheets are included) but honestly, that has never been an issue for either of my two students who have used the program--the teaching on the videos has truly been sufficient. And if you did run into a problem, Mr. Firebaugh is pretty quick about responding to emails.

4. The approach is no-nonsense, so there is none of the engaging, chatty side bars of mathematical interest found in TT. On the other hand, the student *does* learn algebra and finds the study of the topic itself engaging.

5. The content is not *dumbed down* in any way, but the combination of the DVD instruction (Mr. Firebaugh is seen talking and writing on a white board) and progressively challenging problem sets have contributed to successful learning here at our house, for two very different students, and I have no qualms about whether or not they will be prepared for higher math and science--something I would be concerned about if I went with TT.

6. One last thing. The previous poster wondered if there was enough "content". I would say yes. Mr. Firebaugh's program is sold in 3 phases. The first two phases cover the "basics" of algebra. The last phase covers important topics for any student planning to take Alg. 2. For example, the students work quite a bit with deriving and using the quadratic formula which is often a topic covered in Alg. 2.

HTH,