Menu

Primary Language Lessons

RainbowSprinkles

Loved it. It taught the basics for this age group in a concise, gentle way. I didn't get a teachers manual. The only thing that would have been a help to me were to have answers to some (just a few) of the nature/animal study qu. It would have been nice to have the answers in front of me, but we just googled what we didn't know.. not a big deal! Blessings, Gina

Loved it. It taught the basics for this age group in a concise, gentle way. I didn't get a teachers manual. The only thing that would have been a help to me were to have answers to some (just a few) of the nature/animal study qu. It would have been nice to have the answers in front of me, but we just googled what we didn't know.. not a big deal! Blessings, Gina

Thank you!

We just started and are only on lesson 6. We are really enjoying it! The teacher guide adds additional fun and interesting activities/ideas that I would not have come up with on my own. So far, I am glad I ordered the teacher guide.

Edited to add: We are using PLL by Emma Serl, with the yellow cover. (IIRC, there are a few different "versions" so thought I would clarify)

Edited by magnificent_baby

For the end of 2nd and all of 3rd grade. My son benefitted from it tremendously and my dd loves it. My son found it quite a big challenge - which was good as it caught him up. We slowed down abd repeated many lessons and stretched all dictation over five days (4 of copywork followed by dictation)

My dd finds it Just challenging enough to be interesting. I do the dictation SWB style with her (guided dictation) because she is a good speller. She loves the one on one time with me. Even the poetry memorization, which I use instead as oral reading, has been beneficial. I had not realized show much work she needed on slowing down while reading aloud.

I do not think the TM is necessary.

We love it!

My 12yo completed both PLL and ILL. My 10yo finished PLL and is now working through ILL. We supplement with Cozy grammar.

PLL is gentle but has a funny way of pulling quality work out of the kids in the long run.

I use the teacher's guide for ILL, I totally recommend it.

hth

Im on my 3rd student to use PLL. DD finished the book two years ago, DS1 is doing the second part and DS2 has just started. It is a great reasource. I think the TM available at Rainbow Reasource is perfect! It really helped me understand, it also provided a book for me to look at while they had their book in front of them. We've learned to do some lessons orally (especially for boys), some lessons to spread over two or three days (you only need to complete 3 lessons a week to finish each section in a year). An example, we had a lesson on Trees. The questions were: Name 3 shade trees. Name 5 fruit trees.. ect. So I googled each question we looked at the different kinds of trees and copied the names for spelling. We also try to do MOST of the questions in complete sentences. We do not do dictation lessons or the memory work as our main curriculum does this already. The poems for memory I will have the children read aloud and we discuss the meaning. We might also draw a picture. We use dictation exercises for copywork. I use Beechick's model for copywork. Where you read aloud the selection, talk about the grammar, spelling, ect in the passage, then copy. In the first part I will copy on their notebook page leaving a space in between for them to copy underneath.

HTH!