Menu

Quick question about our Lively Latin!

Alicia64

I could really use your input. Our Latin curriculum, Lively Latin, is going into depth on Rome history from the Remulus and Romulus perspective. It goes into the capture of the Sabine women etc. etc.

My question is: why??

If Reemus and Romulus is a myth. . . why learn all these details about a myth? Why not learn the facts? I believe the creator of our Latin studies got everything from Great Men of Rome.

At one point she asks questions like, "What kinds of people did Romulus invite to live in his new city?"

I'm not being argumentative at all. I'm honestly wondering why I should bother my kids w/ this question when they have so much other stuff they're doing.

Set me straight!!

Alley

We use it and dd loves mythology, so it fits good. The why's could be it is part of the culture. Roman, Greek and Norse all likes their myths.

You don't have yo teach it as fact. You don't have to teach the "history" part of the lessons at all! :)

ETA: The questions are just there to reinforce the Latin.. at least that is what I think.

We use it and dd loves mythology, so it fits good. The why's could be it is part of the culture. Roman, Greek and Norse all likes their myths.

You don't have yo teach it as fact. You don't have to teach the "history" part of the lessons at all! :)

ETA: The questions are just there to reinforce the Latin.. at least that is what I think.

HS -- Is your nine year old doing Lively Latin? I'm sometimes wondering if this is a bit too much for one of my eight year olds. They turn nine in April so they're close to being nine.

And thank you for your answer -- very helpful!!

Alley

I believe that the mythology is a true part of history because it helped shape history, changed cultures and affected how Romans lived and believed.

:iagree: My younger really likes this part of his "Latin" studies (I think he thinks of it as a "break" from the hard stuff!)

:iagree: My younger really likes this part of his "Latin" studies (I think he thinks of it as a "break" from the hard stuff!)

Halcyon -- Not to hijack my own thread, but is your six year old really learning the cases and how to identify a base etc.

One of my boys is fine. The other boy though is not having a good time.

I'm not sure if I should just keep moving on slowly -- or find something easier.

Alley

Halcyon -- Not to hijack my own thread, but is your six year old really learning the cases and how to identify a base etc.

Yes, but he's moving slowly (he is alternating Lively Latin with another round of GSWL; he did GSWL last year with older brother, but I decided to do it again with him). I plan to spend two years on Big Book 1 with him. Keep in mind he is advanced in Language Arts; I wouldn't have attempted this with his older brother, who began Latin in 3rd.