Menu

Self-Education and Math

I'll be attending CC in the Spring, and while I know I'll have a lot of studying and work that'll need to be done outside of class, I am only doing 12 credits and none are science- or math-related.

I would like to start over with math for myself. Singapore's New Math 1 intrigued me, but I'd like to aim for something cheaper, and maybe just a textbook and answer key.

I get most Algebraic concepts, but I can't pinpoint the ones I don't know really. Should I start over and use an Algebra text? Or is there a way I can pinpoint my Algebraic issues and then go onto Geometry or Algebra II?

If I do start with an Algebra text, I would like one that is a bit more advanced than would be used in a first time Algebra class. I tried one of those in the Summer and got so bored that I stopped. I am not advanced in math by any means, but I've already taken Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and Pre-Calc. I struggled a lot in Pre-Calc because what I was previously taught was never solidified.

ETA: If it helps, I did take the Compass Placement Testing at the CC and placed into College Mathematics. I can't find the Placement Testing letter ATM, but I do know it was enough to go into college-level Chemistry.

Edited by BeatleMania

They have 'college level' remedial courses-- these are different from their standard high school ones.

With ALEKS you will take a placement test then work on the specific concepts you need more practice with. You can do the work online-- and you can also print out worksheets.

They offer a free trial period.

I used it a few years ago as a Pre-Calc refresher. Text books alone were too boring for me to use other than for reference.

One of the benefits of attending a cc is that you should have full access to their math lab even though you won't be enrolled in a math course - that means free tutoring. :) I'd go there now and ask their advice. They may even have books available there, or suggestions on books you can take out from the library.

I know that many suggest the Khan site for working through algebra and all, so you may want to give that a try.

If you don't mind starting from the beginning, and testing yourself out of the stuff you already know, Saxon is awesome. You can get the books used, so the cost wouldn't be too much. I'd suggest getting the solutions manual along with the text and the test booklet so you can test out and not repeat what you know. You may find that they teach things slightly differently than you've learned in the past, and the new approach may help. Since you tested into college mathematics, I'd start with algebra 1 to make sure you get a good foundation for the rest. Geometry is incorporated into algebra I, II and Adv. Mathematics.

But if you really want to keep the costs down, I'd make the college math lab your first stop. :)

Regarding chemistry, did you make it through Apologia's chemistry? If you found the math challenging, you may want to wait on college chemistry until you bring up your math skills a bit through your self study and then go back and re-try the challenging sections and then go for the college chemistry. You'll be ready for it then. : )

Edited by Teachin'Mine

They have 'college level' remedial courses-- these are different from their standard high school ones.

With ALEKS you will take a placement test then work on the specific concepts you need more practice with. You can do the work online-- and you can also print out worksheets.

They offer a free trial period.

I used it a few years ago as a Pre-Calc refresher. Text books alone were too boring for me to use other than for reference.

I've looked into Aleks before. $19.99 isn't too bad per month, but it does add up after awhile.

I was looking at college-level remedial textbooks, one of them being "Algebra for College Students". Might that be a good fit? Reviewing, but not completely reteaching? Because that is where I get bored, when I am going through an Algebra I text but of course it assumes the student hasn't learned the concepts yet.

One of the benefits of attending a cc is that you should have full access to their math lab even though you won't be enrolled in a math course - that means free tutoring. :) I'd go there now and ask their advice. They may even have books available there' date=' or suggestions on books you can take out from the library.

I know that many suggest the Khan site for working through algebra and all, so you may want to give that a try.

If you don't mind starting from the beginning, and testing yourself out of the stuff you already know, Saxon is awesome. You can get the books used, so the cost wouldn't be too much. I'd suggest getting the solutions manual along with the text and the test booklet so you can test out and not repeat what you know. You may find that they teach things slightly differently than you've learned in the past, and the new approach may help. Since you tested into college mathematics, I'd start with algebra 1 to make sure you get a good foundation for the rest. Geometry is incorporated into algebra I, II and Adv. Mathematics.

But if you really want to keep the costs down, I'd make the college math lab your first stop. :)

Regarding chemistry, did you make it through Apologia's chemistry? If you found the math challenging, you may want to wait on college chemistry until you bring up your math skills a bit through your self study and then go back and re-try the challenging sections and then go for the college chemistry. You'll be ready for it then. : )[/quote']

I didn't know that about the college math lab. I've looked on my CC's website but didn't find too much other than downloads that I don't have the program to load. I will ask about it there, though. I was wondering if I'd be able to use their math tutors without actually being in a course. On the site, it seems like to sign up for tutoring you need to list the course number, but their may be a way around that.

I barely made it through Apologia. The math killed me. I don't need to take a Chem. course for my course of study, though. I just need Human Biology which is a mash of Bio., Chem., and Micro. Bio.

Thanks for the info :)