Menu

What level of Rod and Staff?

I am trying to decide what to do for my son now that ALL isn't coming out, like everyone else. We are going to continue ALL until we run out of pages, and I got Stewart English 1 to finish up the year. I originally planned on just using Stewart English, but it is so thin, I just am not sure. So now I am thinking of trying Rod and Staff for next year for this son.

Background, he will be in 8th grade. He has completed FLL 1-4, AG season 1, and will have completed ALL and Stewart English 1 by the end of this year. He doesn't particularly like grammar, but is fairly good at it.

So for next year, 8th grade, never having done Rod and Staff before, what level should I start with.

Thanks

Here is some advice I just pulled up from the R&S website (FAQ section):

Do you have placement tests?

Rod and Staff Publishers does not provide any placement testing. However, we do offer assessment tests prepared by an independent testing company. When properly applied, your child's scores in these tests will indicate the grade level at which he should be working.

As a general rule, your results from the assessment test should be adequate to place your child in the appropriate grade in Rod and Staff's curriculum. A child who is average or above should be able to work at the same level compared with most other curricula.

One exception is the English curriculum, which covers grammar and composition. If your child has basic knowledge in these areas, they will probably do fine in grades 2 through 5. From the feedback we've received, grades 6 and above don't provide as much review of the basics, and are more advanced than average. (While Rod and Staff only publishes the English series through 10th grade, it is equivalent to completing a high school grammar course.) For students switching in the upper grades, especially those weak in grammar, we usually recommend that they drop back a grade or two, sometimes back to the 5th grade text, which is a good foundation for the rest of the series. If you feel confident they are up to grade level then start there and see if they can manage it. If you find it too advanced, you can always save it for later while you drop back to an earlier grade.

If your child has not been doing well in school, we recommend that you back off a grade or two. Don't try to push a child beyond their level of understanding. You will be far better off to work from a level where you child has a solid footing in the area he is studying. Then you can make real progress.

Finally, it should be remembered that changing from one curriculum to another will often present some challenges to begin with, considering that publishers take different approaches in the way they present their material.

A handy reference is Rod and Staff's scope and sequence charts, showing the new concepts taught in each grade.

Considering that your ds is strong in grammar and has finished the ALL sample, I'd be inclined to suggest that you go with his grade level, but check out the scope and sequence chart to be sure it looks right. You may want to back up to 6th or 7th grade level in order to avoid gaps in learning.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I have recently started with R&S. I dropped back a level for my boys. For my 12 yo, I started with 5th and my 13 yo 6th. I probably could have done 6th and 7th, but I wanted to make sure they got a bit more review. My oldest test very well in LA, but I felt like they needed a bit more grammar before hs. (Both boys are in 7th this year, but my youngest needs more review.)

If the lessons has been too easy, then we just review orally and double up the lesson.

HTH:001_smile: