Menu

Taking notes for science

Other than making index cards with vocab, do your kids take notes as they read their science text? How do I teach them to do this? ( sounds like a no brainer but I am clueless). Do they use an outline format? Any other helpful advice would be appreciated!

Science texts are one of the best resources for practicing outlining skills. Each section is clearly marked, with bold headings for each new topic.

I would imagine your dc could do keyword outlines as well, since you use IEW. I think the main point is to absorb and process the material. Outlining would be one way to do this - either key word, or traditional method.

I actually do NOT have my dd outline her science. She dislikes it enough without my adding to the torture. ;) We use PH - my favorite science text thus far. There is plenty of review within each chapter.

We use School of Tomorrow (ACE) better known as Paces for Biology Science. Right now she is in the last pace for the year and is all about environment and ecology. The paces have an outline (table of content?lol) and I assigned her a Pace essay. She follows the outline, while working with the pace she gathers information for her essay. She also reads the Apologia Biology book (which is pretty much the same info just put in a different way) and if she finds something else she will add that info to her essay. There are 12 Paces so I did not assigned each and everyone of them, just those that I knew she will dig for more information.

For vocabulary she did the Science Roots.

Next year she will be using HomeSchool Science which is for her to gather the information in a research way, hence she will be writing her own Science Textbook. We will see how that one will work.

HTH

How do I teach them to do this? ( sounds like a no brainer but I am clueless). Do they use an outline format? Any other helpful advice would be appreciated!

You know, it sounds like a no-brainer, but it certainly wasn't intuitive for my ds! He has a great memory and it was a struggle getting him to realize that you really do need study skills/habits in the upper-level sciences!

When I coordinate the Apologia biology class, I have the kids turn in their outline/notes from the chapters. (In fact, I'm doing that in my American Government class just to have the accoutability to actually complete the task). Each student will become comfortable with their style. I use the bold headers and sub-headers as my outline. I write definitions, examples, and important information within that category. Apologia lends itself very well to this. If you'd like, I could pull an Apologia book and give you a bit more detail.

HTH,

Lisa

If you'd like, I could pull an Apologia book and give you a bit more detail.

HTH,

Lisa

If you have the time I would really love to see how it actually works. My DD did outline a few chapters of gen science last year but it took her so long that she became overwhelemd. Thanks!

You might try watching one of the lessons with your student and observing how easily or readily the lectures "lend" themselves to taking notes. Then, you might possibly sit down for a practice session with your child and begin taking notes of the lecture, "modeling" for him or her good note-taking techniques from the DVD.

At least, that's what I would try. Best wishes to you on this! Note-taking is a skill that seems to be acquired over time for many kids!

I use http://www.englishcompanion.com/Tools/notemaking.html to teach note-taking. We begin with Cornell notes for history & science, then introduce the summary note format, time-line note format (which is no longer available on the site), and the Literature Circle notes.

I find the Cornell method the easiest to teach, then Précis writing, then any of the others. Wordsmith Craftsman teachings Cornell & Précis note-taking formats.

My ds's science text recommended that when he writes down his vocabulary words and their definitions he add a lot more detail. That detail would include words associated with the term and drawings to illustrate. For example, for composite volcano, his card might include explosive (eruptions), usually at convergent plates, alternating ash and lava flows and maybe a few examples. It would also include a sectional diagram of a composite volcano.