Menu

Any opinions on the Evan Moor language arts prodcucts? (M)

rafiki

Their site is being updated, so I can only see a few pages on Amazon. They have books for spelling, sentences, paragraphs, basic grammar & punctuation, and paragraph editing. This would be for K-3rd.

We use the paragraph editing and really like it. It covers a lot of basic grammar and punctuation, but not a lot of spelling... mostly just homophones and near-homophones (their/ there/ they're, or where/wear/were).

I know it says "daily" but we don't do it anywhere near daily, and one book has lasted quite a long time. We probably get to it almost once a week... so I bought the highest level I thought he could manage, knowing that I wanted it to be "good" for a few years. It isn't our spine at all, but it's an excellent little review/independent work/ here-do-this-while-I-find-your-science-book tool.

Hope this helps! :)

As far as language arts goes, I have used Evan Moor's Write a Super Sentence, Writing Fabulous Sentences and Paragraphs, Daily Handwriting Practice, How to Report on Books (PK-K, 1-2, 3-4, 5-6), Read and Understand Tall Tales. I have also used many other EM products (History Pockets, Math Practice, Phonics and Math Centers, Art, etc.). I am kind of an EM junkie.

I love all their products. I have used the writing books as a stand alone for early elementary ages. The other products are mostly supplement but are a lot of fun and well done. I have not yet met an EM product I didn't like (to the misfortune of my wallet!).

I have used the Literature Pockets: Tall Tales for 4th-6th grade. We have throughly enjoyed this particular product. I have other friends who have used History Pockets and some of the daily review programs. They have said they are great too. In my home, I would only intend to use these products as a supplement though and not a full program.

and we really like it.

There are 2 ways you can see the whole book.

1. go to www.google.com Click on the "More" button at the top right and select "books". Type in Evan-Moor & the name of the book you want to see. I love this!!

OR -

2. go to www.evan-moor.com and find the book you want, often there is a "See this book" option where you can flip through the book in the viewer.

This is a BIG reason why I like & support Evan-Moor - no one else lets you flip through an entire book online, for free!

For 2nd gr, I do think the Grammar & Punctuation is complete. I've been debating on whether the G&P gr 3 is complete. From what I can tell, I think it is missing adverbs, and dictionary skills - but it really seems to miss very few things. I think if I paired it with a good spelling book, then we'd probably be fine for 3rd grade. I'm still debating on whether I will use this again next year, but so far my dd has enjoyed Gr. 2, so I'm tempted to stay with it next year.

HTH!

I'm with Wee Pip. I LOVE that Evan Moor will let you browse through their entire books online, in the comfort of my home! I used the googlebooks feature a lot and it had been really helpful in making decisions. Often, I will leave the ebook open for a week and browse through it each day. If I still want it/find it useful to me by the end of the week, I order the book.

I'm trying to curb my curriculum-junkie tendencies. :D