Menu

What would you want in a preschool letter/literature unit study?

ThreeBlessings

My dd 3 is soon to be 4. We've been using worksheets/activities/workboxes and doing The Letter of the Week. She loves PreK. I'm considering making my own PreK 4/5 for her as buying anything is not an option right now. I've been able to find good things for free online, but am considering making some things because I want them a certain way. I'm wondering what others would want if the could have the *perfect* PreK letter curriculum or *perfect* PreK literature unit studies?

For the curriculum I'd like to focus on letter sound of the week. Here is a list of things I'm thinking of:

1. letter mini book with pictures to paste in the correct box, such as page says alligator, parent reads the word alligator, PreKer pastes alligator in a box above the word on that page, each book would be 6-8 pages

2. worksheet with the letter on it and blank space, another worksheet with pictures of things that start with that letter, depending on scissor skills Preker or parent cuts out pictures, PreKer pastes them on the page

3. paper puppet animal starting with the letter to color and glue on craft stick

4. build a word mat with two pictures of two things starting with the letter and mini letters to cut out either by parent or Preker, parent help PreKer spell the word, PreKer pastes letters in correct box, such as picture of ant with three boxes below it and the letters a n t inside little boxes to paste correctly

I would prefer to make these all blackline as the printing would be cheaper. I'm wondering what else you would want to add, or if any of the ideas aren't something you would do?

For the literature unit studies I plan to retell classic stories such as The Twelve Dancing Princesses and Jack in the Beanstalk. We've been using pictures I've printed for stories and she will retell the story after I've read it to her using the cut out pictures. Then we will play the story together. She LOVES doing this. I'm okay at drawing and adapting the stories to be more age appropriate. I'm considering making drawings that will go along with the main events in the story very well for quite a few classics.Other ideas I have include a page with pictures to cut and paste like stickers on a blank page however she wants, a mini book with very short recaps of main events, and pictures to cut and and put in the correct order of the story sequence. I was trying to think of what other activities I could include in a literature unit study?

Thanks for any input!

Edited by ThreeBlessings
not sure how that ended up so jumbled? lol

I'd like a letter study to include printed, cursive, signed and braille letters. Why not introduce them to these different ways of making the same letter while they are willing to accept it all as natural?

I would not like a to be for alligator because alligators are very obviously crocodiles to Australian children. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

For preschool, lots of hands-on activities, or acting out. Like, for instance, with Jack and the Beanstalk, you could actually plant the bean, and then imagine how weird it would be if the bean grew up overnight big enough to climb up. That's just an example. But the more she can do, the better.