Menu

WRTR online course - do you wish you'd done it?

MouseBandit

Hi! I am trying to decide how to spend some funds that I have set aside for curriculum for our pre-K dd, and debating on whether or not to do the online course (Home Educator's Course) put out by Spalding.org for the Writing Road to Reading.

I posted on this last week, and no one seems to have done the course.

Does anyone using this method wish they had taken the course? Or just jump right in from the book?

Thank you!

Tracey in Oregon

Hi! I am trying to decide how to spend some funds that I have set aside for curriculum for our pre-K dd, and debating on whether or not to do the online course (Home Educator's Course) put out by Spalding.org for the Writing Road to Reading.

I posted on this last week, and no one seems to have done the course.

Does anyone using this method wish they had taken the course? Or just jump right in from the book?

Thank you!

Tracey in Oregon

It's an on-line course to learn to teach the Spalding Method. Spalding is the method; WRTR is the manual. :)

I've been doing Spalding since, oh, 1984 (not continuously!). If an on-line course had been available then (heck, there wasn't even such a thing as "on-line" then, lol), I'd have taken it. Happily, I had a couple of friends who were very experienced with Spalding and gave me some pointers; the rest I figured out by studying the book (because it's all there, even in the WRTR editions one through four).

So, yes, if you can take an on-line Spalding course, then do it.

Thank you! I've read some of your posts and was hoping you'd reply! I guess that settles it - I will go ahead with the course!

In the meantime, from what I've read in the book, it sounds like it is okay to start with pre-K children teaching them the phonogram sounds from the cards without having them writing the letters at the same time. Then later, I can start teaching the manuscript writing while saying the phonogram sounds aloud. Do I have that correct? I've got the 4th ed. manual and am all ready to start my dd learning the sounds, but I'm not prepared to start the writing portion just yet (want to do the course first and need to get or print some writing paper).

Thank you so much!

Tracey in Oregon

Thank you! I've read some of your posts and was hoping you'd reply! I guess that settles it - I will go ahead with the course!

In the meantime, from what I've read in the book, it sounds like it is okay to start with pre-K children teaching them the phonogram sounds from the cards without having them writing the letters at the same time. Then later, I can start teaching the manuscript writing while saying the phonogram sounds aloud. Do I have that correct? I've got the 4th ed. manual and am all ready to start my dd learning the sounds, but I'm not prepared to start the writing portion just yet (want to do the course first and need to get or print some writing paper).

Thank you so much!

Tracey in Oregon

JMHO, but with children younger than 5yo, I wouldn't use the phonogram cards at all, even if I taught the sounds (p. 256 in your manual addresses this). I'd be helping them learn to hold pencils/pens/crayons properly, learning to draw circles and lines correctly (circles beginning at 2 on the clock, vertical lines starting at the top, horizontal lines in the direction that we read and write, and yes, using that terminology), telling them the sounds of letters they want to know instead of the names of the letters, and so on. We'd also draw circles and lines in the air, on the table in chocolate pudding or whipped cream :D. Anyway, I'd be doing p. 256. :)

Thanks for your quick reply! I am wanting to make sure I understand what you're saying about teaching the little ones (pre-K) the sounds without using the phonogram cards.

What I'm seeing on p.256 says that the little ones can learn to say the individual sounds of the phonogram cards, correlated with seeing the correct writing of the symbols. But, you're saying this is best accomplished by doing it more as it comes up (like when answering their questions or writing their name) rather than by using the phonogram cards like flash cards - is that correct?

From what I'm reading on p.256 and p.57 (at three and four, children soon enjoy recognizing the phonograms and saying the sounds of all seventy given in any order), I would have thought they meant to use the phonogram cards sort of like flash cards to teach the sounds, without doing the full manuscript writing lessons at that point.

Sorry if I'm being dense - I just want to make sure I start her off properly and don't do something that might need to be undone later or slow her down later! Thank you so much for your help!!

Tracey in Oregon

Thanks for your quick reply! I am wanting to make sure I understand what you're saying about teaching the little ones (pre-K) the sounds without using the phonogram cards.

What I'm seeing on p.256 says that the little ones can learn to say the individual sounds of the phonogram cards, correlated with seeing the correct writing of the symbols. But, you're saying this is best accomplished by doing it more as it comes up (like when answering their questions or writing their name) rather than by using the phonogram cards like flash cards - is that correct?

From what I'm reading on p.256 and p.57 (at three and four, children soon enjoy recognizing the phonograms and saying the sounds of all seventy given in any order), I would have thought they meant to use the phonogram cards sort of like flash cards to teach the sounds, without doing the full manuscript writing lessons at that point.

Sorry if I'm being dense - I just want to make sure I start her off properly and don't do something that might need to be undone later or slow her down later! Thank you so much for your help!!

Tracey in Oregon

The phonograms are never taught without the writing (the manual is the *writing* road to reading, remember :) ). When your little dc wants to know what a letter is, you write it while saying the sound, and you help her write the letter (as correctly as she can) while saying the sound. When she wants to know how to write her name, you teach her how to do with with an uppercase letter at the beginning and lower-case letters for the rest, and you say the phonogram sounds as you help her write each one.

You won't give your dc a headstart by using the phonogram cards as flash cards before she is able to do any writing. :-)

One more question - if I may take up a little more of your time today! Would you recommend the Lesson Plan books that spalding.org sells? They are $70 for the kindergarten one, and it seems to me that the manual lays out very well what to do each day, and how to structure it, and even the anticipated pace (although that is clearly geared towards a classroom rather than homsechool). I am thinking that it would not be really necessary to purchase the whole "kit" (which runs $126.95), since I already have the 4th edition WRTR book, and can make the phonogram cards from it, and I can either purchase inexpensively individually or make my own of the other supplies that come with the kit (Word Builder cards, writing paper, blank notebook, pencil, etc.).

Just trying to make the most effective use of my funds, and I really would hate to spend all that money for things I can glean myself out of the book, or make or buy for less elsewhere!

Thank you again!

Tracey

One more question - if I may take up a little more of your time today! Would you recommend the Lesson Plan books that spalding.org sells? They are $70 for the kindergarten one, and it seems to me that the manual lays out very well what to do each day, and how to structure it, and even the anticipated pace (although that is clearly geared towards a classroom rather than homsechool). I am thinking that it would not be really necessary to purchase the whole "kit" (which runs $126.95), since I already have the 4th edition WRTR book, and can make the phonogram cards from it, and I can either purchase inexpensively individually or make my own of the other supplies that come with the kit (Word Builder cards, writing paper, blank notebook, pencil, etc.).

Just trying to make the most effective use of my funds, and I really would hate to spend all that money for things I can glean myself out of the book, or make or buy for less elsewhere!

Thank you again!

Tracey

The teacher guides are good for a classroom, but I'm not convinced that they're necessary for a homeschooler. Keep your fourth edition and call it a day. :-)

Just a thought, but learning cursive works very well for when you start writing. I suggest that all students be taught cursive first. There's a program that goes with another Spalding Method that is called "Cursive First" I used Handwriting Without Tears, because it's easiest for a lot of children. (very simple) BUT, "Cursive First" uses the clock method, it that's what you want. Here's some info from the place you can purchase the "Cursive First" There's lots more info if you do a google search for "why cursive" first...

Just a thought, but learning cursive works very well for when you start writing. I suggest that all students be taught cursive first. There's a program that goes with another Spalding Method that is called "Cursive First" I used Handwriting Without Tears, because it's easiest for a lot of children. (very simple) BUT, "Cursive First" uses the clock method, it that's what you want. Here's some info from the place you can purchase the "Cursive First" There's lots more info if you do a google search for "why cursive" first...

See, with Spalding I don't think that's necessary. As soon as the children are writing in manuscript well, they learn to connect their letters.

One reason Spalding teaches manuscript first is that that's what children will be reading. Spalding's methodology helps prevent reversals, which is why many people teach cursive first. If someone is doing Spalding, I just don't see any advantage in doing cursive first--IOW, in modifying the Spalding Method.

I second starting w/cursive handwriting, especially using Cursive First. I think it's a great way to teach the phonograms using a little one's large motor skills. You could make your own sandpaper letters (something like these) and have your little one trace them with her finger as she says the sound(s), then have her draw them in a salt box or on a white board or with sidewalk chalk. :)

ETA: I love this

by Britta McColl (SWR Trainer). You could easily make your own laminated clock face like the one Britta sells on her site (morningstarlearning.com). Edited by CMama

I second starting w/cursive handwriting, especially using Cursive First. I think it's a great way to teach the phonograms using a little one's large motor skills. You could make your own sandpaper letters (something like these) and have your little one trace them with her finger as she says the sound(s), then have her draw them in a salt box or on a white board.

ETA: I love this

by Britta McColl (SWR Trainer).

I do Spalding the way it is written. :-)

Perhaps SWR suggests doing cursive first, but until Spalding does, and as long as I'm helping someone with Spalding questions, I'll recommend following the Method as it is. :-)

The phonograms are never taught without the writing (the manual is the *writing* road to reading, remember :) ). When your little dc wants to know what a letter is, you write it while saying the sound, and you help her write the letter (as correctly as she can) while saying the sound. When she wants to know how to write her name, you teach her how to do with with an uppercase letter at the beginning and lower-case letters for the rest, and you say the phonogram sounds as you help her write each one.

You won't give your dc a headstart by using the phonogram cards as flash cards before she is able to do any writing. :-)

May I jump in with a quick question? My little guy will be turning 3 this month and knows all the letter sounds and has just started scribbling on his own making lines, circles and zigzags. Thank you for the tips on how to approach writing. How about the phonogram sounds though! How many should I teach at this age? I was not going to start Spalding with him officially till he turns five but I am seeing that he will probably be ready sooner as he is already holding his pencil properly from observing us. So where should I go from here? I will be starting him some preschool fun, hands-on, activity based stuff :tongue_smilie: (he is pushing and I can no longer ignore it because he gets disruptive and cries when I do school with his brother, grabbing my hand and asking to write or to involve him in some way) next week and was going to work on the letters again adding in different themes associated with the letter. Anyway, I am rambling now :lol:... So then, what should I do about the phonograms? Of course at this stage he only knows the short vowel sounds and hard consonant sounds.

I do Spalding the way it is written. :-)

Perhaps SWR suggests doing cursive first, but until Spalding does, and as long as I'm helping someone with Spalding questions, I'll recommend following the Method as it is. :-)

But, if you think about the fact that Spalding is a using phonograms to teach sounds, and that's a "return" to the "best" way to teach reading, it seems that returning to the "best" way to teach writing would be appropriate as well. Students return to the way they were taught first, which is why you should teach how to write. This includes how to form the letters and cursive just makes sense to me. It also has been proven that using "joined letters" helps blend the letters into words.

I taught my son to read before he was ready to write letters, because he was late in writing readiness. BUT, either way, when they're ready for writing.... cursive is developmentally appropriate.

Spalding as it is now and SWR is close. And yes, I know the older version, too. ;) My mom was trained from a woman who was taught directly by Mrs. Spalding.... about 30 years ago :) The new book is different :)

BTW, the pencil flip that Handwriting Without Tears shows as well as using regular diameter pencils, but golf pencil length... is a great idea for writing :)

But, if you think about the fact that Spalding is a using phonograms to teach sounds, and that's a "return" to the "best" way to teach reading, it seems that returning to the "best" way to teach writing would be appropriate as well. Students return to the way they were taught first, which is why you should teach how to write. This includes how to form the letters and cursive just makes sense to me. It also has been proven that using "joined letters" helps blend the letters into words.

I taught my son to read before he was ready to write letters, because he was late in writing readiness. BUT, either way, when they're ready for writing.... cursive is developmentally appropriate.

Spalding as it is now and SWR is close. And yes, I know the older version, too. ;) My mom was trained from a woman who was taught directly by Mrs. Spalding.... about 30 years ago :) The new book is different :)

BTW, the pencil flip that Handwriting Without Tears shows as well as using regular diameter pencils, but golf pencil length... is a great idea for writing :)

That's really a matter of opinion, isn't it! Over a year ago I stumbled on Don Potter's website and read the "cursive first" philosophy. At the time I was considering following that (my first child was already writing in manuscript and my second was too young, at the time). A short while later, I started reading Spalding's method and decided that that was what I wanted to do. Spalding's method has been around and successful for over 50 years now. When one decides to use the method, the wisest thing would be to use it as it was put together by the one that came up with it. OG asked Spalding to come up with a method that was for every child, not just children with dyslexia. I don't recall Sanseri being around at the time ;)!

I think the bottom line is, we follow what we feel is the best approach for our children. The OP came here asking about the Spalding method and that was what Ellie replied to. If the OP had come here asking about Sanseri's altered approach, then I am sure Ellie would have let those using SWR to answer :).

I am enjoying all the discussion here, especially as it is leading me to learn about methods and philosophies I didn't even know existed, LOL! I do intend to follow the Spalding method as laid out in the 4th ed. Maybe later when I know more about things, I would consider "tweaking" it specifically for my child, but right now I want to go with what's been established.

And, I did end up signing up for the online Home Educators Course, although I did not purchase the 5th ed. book or their kit (which included the lesson plans). There appear to be big organizational differences between the 4th ed. and the 5th, so maybe I will spring for the newer book (although if I'm going for the 5th ed. maybe I should just get the newest 6th ed.?).

I do have to say that thus far, the first session (there are 10 sessions) is DRY and very hard to stick with without switching screens and multi-tasking a little, ha ha! Hopefully she (the instructor) will loosen up a little, LOL! I will keep this thread updated if anyone cares to hear how the course is going and my opinion of it. :-)

Thanks again for the discussion! It's very beneficial to me, even if I don't act on any of the other suggestions.

Oh, and I just wanted to tell someone (aka anyone!) that we cut the phonograms out of the book and laminated them yesterday, so now we have our phonogram cards. :-) One step closer to starting!

Tracey in Oregon

Ellie, do you happen to have a edition preference?

Not really. I'm comfortable and familiar with the fourth edition; the fifth edition has lots of nifty helps--charts and sample dialogues and whatnot. If people have the fourth, they can use that. If they're just starting out, they should go ahead and get the fifth (or the sixth; I haven't seen that yet), but if they find good deals on the fourth, well, then get that. :-)

Not really. I'm comfortable and familiar with the fourth edition; the fifth edition has lots of nifty helps--charts and sample dialogues and whatnot. If people have the fourth, they can use that. If they're just starting out, they should go ahead and get the fifth (or the sixth; I haven't seen that yet), but if they find good deals on the fourth, well, then get that. :-)

Thanks!:D

May I jump in with a quick question? My little guy will be turning 3 this month and knows all the letter sounds and has just started scribbling on his own making lines, circles and zigzags. Thank you for the tips on how to approach writing. How about the phonogram sounds though! How many should I teach at this age? I was not going to start Spalding with him officially till he turns five but I am seeing that he will probably be ready sooner as he is already holding his pencil properly from observing us. So where should I go from here? I will be starting him some preschool fun, hands-on, activity based stuff :tongue_smilie: (he is pushing and I can no longer ignore it because he gets disruptive and cries when I do school with his brother, grabbing my hand and asking to write or to involve him in some way) next week and was going to work on the letters again adding in different themes associated with the letter. Anyway, I am rambling now :lol:... So then, what should I do about the phonograms? Of course at this stage he only knows the short vowel sounds and hard consonant sounds.

Teach the phonograms as he needs to know them, such as the ones for his name, or any that he specifically asks about. If he wants more, then begin by teaching him the phonograms that begin with circles, along with writing them--always by writing them. He won't be able to write them perfectly yet, but he'll still be associating the sounds of the letters with their written shapes.

OG asked Spalding to come up with a method that was for every child, not just children with dyslexia. I don't recall Sanseri being around at the time ;)!

... The OP came here asking about the Spalding method and that was what Ellie replied to. If the OP had come here asking about Sanseri's altered approach, then I am sure Ellie would have let those using SWR to answer :).

Well, to use the original Spalding method that Mrs. Spalding came up with... and was pleased with... would take going back a few editions. Many "updates" were made after her death, I believe. The "updates" were not "approved" by her. Just my thoughts :) And, I can't remember the story of Orton asking Spalding to develop a program.

Did he (Orton) not have his own program? Perhaps he just developed the phonograms with Gillingham with no program to go with it? (And then someone else was able to use their names to develop a program?

I had thought that Spalding was based off of using his phonogram cards/system, but as something she saw as an improvement.

As far as writing, I suppose I like the France story about how they are taught to do handwriting, because of their switch to manuscript and return to joined letters. (cursive)

It was just meant to be a thought... not something to hate me over.

Well, to use the original Spalding method that Mrs. Spalding came up with... and was pleased with... would take going back a few editions. Many "updates" were made after her death, I believe. The "updates" were not "approved" by her. Just my thoughts :) And, I can't remember the story of Orton asking Spalding to develop a program.

No, actually, the fifth edition was the first one published after her death. The sixth edition is available, I believe--haven't checked on that recently--so, no, you wouldn't need to back a "few editions." Also, the staff of Spalding Education International were very, exceedingly careful to remain faithful to the Spalding Method. Nothing I have read in in the fifth edition or any of the teacher guides (and SEI gave me a complete set when they were released, as a thank-you for my involvement with the homeschooling community regarding Spalding) have changes in them which are worth noting. All of it meshes with everything I've known about Spalding since 1983.

No, actually, the fifth edition was the first one published after her death. The sixth edition is available, I believe--haven't checked on that recently--so, no, you wouldn't need to back a "few editions." Also, the staff of Spalding Education International were very, exceedingly careful to remain faithful to the Spalding Method. Nothing I have read in in the fifth edition or any of the teacher guides (and SEI gave me a complete set when they were released, as a thank-you for my involvement with the homeschooling community regarding Spalding) have changes in them which are worth noting. All of it meshes with everything I've known about Spalding since 1983.

Hmmm, I was thinking of the Black edition, whichever that was. :) I suppose "several" is not descriptive enough. I have 3 editions and they seem different to me. Oh well, I'm sure you're more versed in how they're different.

Hmmm, I was thinking of the Black edition, whichever that was. :) I suppose "several" is not descriptive enough. I have 3 editions and they seem different to me. Oh well, I'm sure you're more versed in how they're different.

The colors of the editions are black, red and teal--somehow there are four printings in there, lol--then the fifth. Apparently there were some issues with the red one, hence the teal one. Some people prefer the first edition, which I owned but got rid of, then I bought the red, which I also got rid of, then the teal, which I still have. Only the fifth was printed after Mrs. Spalding's death. :-) Whatever differences there may have been were not that significant.

Teach the phonograms as he needs to know them, such as the ones for his name, or any that he specifically asks about. If he wants more, then begin by teaching him the phonograms that begin with circles, along with writing them--always by writing them. He won't be able to write them perfectly yet, but he'll still be associating the sounds of the letters with their written shapes.

Thank you Ellie :)! I like this idea better that mine! I won't purposely go through the alphabet with him then. He does know the 26 letter sounds already but naturally he cannot write them yet. I'll do the themes and activities I want with him and just let him lead the way with the phonograms.

And, I can't remember the story of Orton asking Spalding to develop a program.

I was pretty sure I remembered reading that somewhere but I could not locate it now. In any case, here are some quotes from the WRTR, in Spalding's own words (5th edition, page 8):

I am deeply indebted to the late Dr. Orton, eminent neurologist and brain specialist, for his years of research and teaching in the field of spoken and written English. It was a privilege while a Bronxville, New York, public school teacher to successfully teach, under the meticulous supervision of Dr. Orton, an intelligent boy who had a severe writing disability.

My contribution has been to develop Dr. Orton's training into a method for classroom teaching. In 1968, the Massachusetts state director of special education stated that awareness of the great need of many able children for such help was the fruit of Dr. Orton's pioneer work.

Such humble words considering how big her contribution really was, imho!

http://www.spalding.org/index.php?tname=about&p=history

As for Wanda Sanseri, she apparently studied under Romalda Spalding and Omma Riggs. I don't know too much about her, other than that she did not study directly under Dr. Orton. I don't know what her contribution has been but based on what I am reading here, I do not see much credit or recognition given to Dr. Orton, Romalda Spalding or Omma Riggs. Maybe I am just not reading it right but by reading this and other info about Sanseri, all I am getting is what she did to adapt the method with very little credit (if any) to its founders!

http://www.swrtraining.com/id9.html

Thank you Ellie :)! I like this idea better that mine! I won't purposely go through the alphabet with him then. He does know the 26 letter sounds already but naturally he cannot write them yet. I'll do the themes and activities I want with him and just let him lead the way with the phonograms.

Well, you know, many of the 26 single-letter phonograms have more than one sound (all the vowels have at least 2 sounds, some of them have 3; c and g each have two sounds). You'll want to teach him all the sounds of each phonogram when you're doing activities, so you won't have to remediate when you Officially start doing Spalding.:) Also, Spalding doesn't teach the names of the letters unless and until they are needed (to say a rule, for example).

Well, you know, many of the 26 single-letter phonograms have more than one sound (all the vowels have at least 2 sounds, some of them have 3; c and g each have two sounds).

I have been a bit concerned about doing that given his age (he turns three this month) but at this point I have nothing to lose since he knows the short/ hard sounds already.

You'll want to teach him all the sounds of each phonogram when you're doing activities, so you won't have to remediate when you Officially start doing Spalding.:)

Makes sense! Actually, the activities I am planning are mostly theme/ life skill based. I was just going to incorporate the phonograms in there tying them in somehow, but the phonograms where not going to be my main focus at this age. I just want him to have some fun preschool activities to have fun and to interact with me and possibly his brother also (Adrian loves teaching him things). I am running out of things to teach at this level since he already knows most of the things that most preschoolers learn (colors, shapes, numbers etc.) so my focus is on making all these things that he now knows more hands-on/ interactive, to give him more room for exploration, observation, making connections etc. I feel I may have pushed my oldest a bit too much a bit too soon and I am just trying to avoid making the same mistakes :tongue_smilie:.

Also, Spalding doesn't teach the names of the letters unless and until they are needed (to say a rule, for example).

Unfortunately, I read about that a little too late. I found that out less than a year ago and Malcolm already knew the names of the letters (capital and lower case) prior to turning two. Can I blame it on Sesame Street and Leapfrog :blush:? I think these days it is even harder keeping the kids away from learning things like that with all the kids educational programming and DVD's. I grew up with Sesame Street, so it was one of the things I did get the boys early on and both my boys love the Old School Sesame Street episodes especially.

Thanks again for all your input! You don't know how much I appreciate your guidance right now, while I am pondering what to teach and what not to teach yet so that I don't push him too soon!

Edited by Guest

It was just meant to be a thought... not something to hate me over.

I missed this until now! No hate there! I thought we were just having a discussion :)!

• 1 month later...

My apologies for dredging up this older thread but I wanted to correct something I had previously stated, since I just found where I had seen it and realized that I had filed it incorrectly in my memory :glare:. Anyway, here's the quote from The Writing Road to Reading 5th edition (Foreword xiii).

These particular phonograms were selected by Anna Gillingham for Samuel Orton, the famous neurologist who later also asked her to develop a method for teaching reading to dyslexics. Spalding, after teaching a child for two and a half years under Orton's guidance, developed her own method for classroom teaching to prevent or remediate writing and reading problems.
It was Anna Gillingham that Samuel Orton asked to develop the method and not Romalda Spalding as I had previously, incorrectly, posted.

I have just started reading the WRTR in preparation for next fall. I held off this year with my oldest since we have had a lot on our plate and I have had a lot of figuring out to do in many ways. Anyway, while I was reading it I stumbled on the comment, and I knew it would bug me if I did not correct what I had previously stated.

If they're just starting out, they should go ahead and get the fifth (or the sixth; I haven't seen that yet), but if they find good deals on the fourth, well, then get that. :-)

I just purchased the sixth..it is about 1/2 the thickness of the fifth. I will be reading through it. I remember loving the fifth when I got it from the library. I hope nothing was left out. :glare:

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Penny

I just purchased the sixth..it is about 1/2 the thickness of the fifth. I will be reading through it. I remember loving the fifth when I got it from the library. I hope nothing was left out. :glare:

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Penny

I was trying to do a comparison between my 5th and the preview pages for the 6th on Amazon. Some of the content seems to be rearranged and the first section appears to have content found in the teacher's guides (I also own one of the teachers' guides). This is also mentioned here:

http://spalding.org/store/WritingRoadToReading.php

There is a strong focus on integration but they have taken out (just as it is mentioned in the Spalding website) all the narrative lesson format. Before, Chapter 1 covered The Spelling Lesson, Chapter 2 The Writing Lesson and Chapter 3 The Reading Lesson. Now they just have an outline, as they say, but they have added an assessment section. You can see what else they have changed in the link.

I would like to get my hands on the morphology. I don't have that but I am not willing to pay $20 for 3 pages :tongue_smilie:. Other than that, I think I prefer the 5th (I have never seen or owned any of the priors) but I am just going by previews. I would much rather do a side by side comparison.

I put in a request to see if my local library system would be willing to order the 6th edition. They currently only have the 5th edition (we have 9 branches) and only one copy. Keeping my fingers crossed!

ETA: Based on the page count, mine is 30 pages more so no significant difference there.

Edited by Guest

Actually, I would also like to get the new literature lists and the Phonogram Reviews and Cue Words (my format is a bit different, I would like to have both). It is in my shopping cart but I am not pushing the order button unless I am sure ;).