Menu

Anyone homeschooling in Columbia, MO???

4toteach

I'm near Columbia and the quality of the school district is relative to what you expect for your kids. I hear from some parents they love the district and others that their kids are bored to tears.

Fewer Columbia schools meet MAP standards: MAP test results released: Just 3 of 28 Columbia schools meet progress goal

The state itself ranks 39th in the nation; and a number of schools within the district have lost federal funding for failing to meet progress goals. The state lowered its standards and its still doing poorly!

Elementary schools fare much better on the MAP tests, but with each change in the schools - to middle school and then high school, students test scores decline.

Columbia MAP scores in lower half among peers

No, but I bet there is all kinds of good stuff there. DH and I both graduated from Mizzou, couldn't wait to get out of dodge and now realize as adults with a family that it's a great place to live. Enjoy! The park system is wonderful. We miss it all. We live about two hours away now.

I love living here too - if we did enroll DS, we'd go with a private school since we do not feel the public schools here meet the expectations we have for his education (one reason I homeschool him).

the CHRG group. There's another group,CHE, that I belong to. It's mostly for the Christians, I guess but you don't have to sign a statement of faith to join. It's a loose association that has occasional field trips, park days, and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

I know a little about Heritage Academy because we're supported by the church the runs it. We know some of those that attend there. Good church (Grace Bible Church of Columbia), good families that attend there, wonderful pastor (Mike Burke) and youth pastor (Conrad Hake--went to Bible college with him). Like you said, university model, so they go to school 3 days per week and are home the rest. Classical education, etc.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest vanderson

I am looking for information about home school groups in Columbia. I am in the midst of completing my fourth year of teaching in a small community.  I currently teach high school biology, chemistry and physics.  I have decided to resign and would like to start a home school group in Columbia.  I truly enjoy working with my students but I feel hindered by the small town politics in  the communities in which I have been employed.   Any information or insights would be greatly appreciated.