Menu

Are there any computer experts on the forums?

My mil gave us a laptop she does not use and it has windows vista. I have become pretty frustrated with it and can now see why she had trouble operating it. I have a windows xp disc for our old desktop and was wondering how or if I even could remove vista and download xp. :confused: I'm hoping this might make a difference, if it can be done. I went on the laptop the other night to see how I could remove vista, but just could not figure it out. I also don't know if I can/should download xp from a disc that has already been downloaded to another computer. Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you so much! :)

You can remove Vista and replace it with XP if you still have the original disc that you used to install XP onto your other computer.

I believe you will also need the "Product Key" on a sticker on the sleeve or case the disc came in.

Doesn't matter how many times you use the disc - it shouldn't be a problem at all.

You're going to have to find the folder on the computer where all the "Operating Systems" are located....

I'll try to find a step by step list for you.....

I actually just tried to do that a couple of days ago. My dh seriously messed up his laptop, which came with Vista preinstalled. He wanted me to try to reinstall Windows with xp instead of Vista, and after a little research, I was totally overwhelmed. You have to go in and remove partitions from the hard drive, and if you do it wrong you can make the computer permanently unusable. It's much easier to upgrade than to downgrade.

Is there any way you could just put Windows 7 on it? That would be far easier.

There are three types of Windows licenses: full retail, upgrade, and OEM. The first has the fewest restrictions. You can remove a full-retail copy from one system and install it on another compatible system. Upgrade licenses allow you to upgrade an existing installation, whether that installation is full-retail or OEM. OEM licenses (like the one you have from your old desktop) are not transferable legally; they're bound to the system they were first installed on.

They may also not be transferable at all. For example, the Windows distribution discs supplied by many OEMs (Dell, HP, etc.) check the computer BIOS to make sure it's the same brand (and sometimes the same model or series) before they'll install. Of course, OEMs don't include discs any more and haven't for years. Instead they create a hidden partition on the hard drive and copy the installation files to it. Not that that does you much good if your hard drive fails. The fact that you have distribution discs may mean that you'll be able to install XP on your notebook system, but it's quite likely you'll encounter problems with missing drivers and so on. You can probably visit the website of the laptop manufacturer to download a file with XP drivers for your particular model.

I would seriously recommend getting some expert local help. Don't even think of paying Geek Squad. Their so-called experts are usually minimum-wage flunkies who are pretty much clueless, and they charge a lot. Instead ask around for a local teenage computer hobbyist. You can probably pay the kid $20 and end up with a system that's set up properly, including a free antivirus/antimalware package.

I actually just tried to do that a couple of days ago. My dh seriously messed up his laptop, which came with Vista preinstalled. He wanted me to try to reinstall Windows with xp instead of Vista, and after a little research, I was totally overwhelmed. You have to go in and remove partitions from the hard drive, and if you do it wrong you can make the computer permanently unusable. It's much easier to upgrade than to downgrade.

Is there any way you could just put Windows 7 on it? That would be far easier.

I had tried upgrading, but the system check showed it could not be done?? I have no idea why, that's how computer illiterate I am :001_huh: - lol.

There are three types of Windows licenses: full retail, upgrade, and OEM. The first has the fewest restrictions. You can remove a full-retail copy from one system and install it on another compatible system. Upgrade licenses allow you to upgrade an existing installation, whether that installation is full-retail or OEM. OEM licenses (like the one you have from your old desktop) are not transferable legally; they're bound to the system they were first installed on.

They may also not be transferable at all. For example, the Windows distribution discs supplied by many OEMs (Dell, HP, etc.) check the computer BIOS to make sure it's the same brand (and sometimes the same model or series) before they'll install. Of course, OEMs don't include discs any more and haven't for years. Instead they create a hidden partition on the hard drive and copy the installation files to it. Not that that does you much good if your hard drive fails. The fact that you have distribution discs may mean that you'll be able to install XP on your notebook system, but it's quite likely you'll encounter problems with missing drivers and so on. You can probably visit the website of the laptop manufacturer to download a file with XP drivers for your particular model.

I would seriously recommend getting some expert local help. Don't even think of paying Geek Squad. Their so-called experts are usually minimum-wage flunkies who are pretty much clueless, and they charge a lot. Instead ask around for a local teenage computer hobbyist. You can probably pay the kid $20 and end up with a system that's set up properly, including a free antivirus/antimalware package.

Thank you for this info. the disc I have came with a Dell desktop we purchased about ten years ago. I am guessing I might run into some problems with this. I will take your advice and visit the manuf. site to see what I can find out. :001_smile: