Menu

Binder machine?

DragonFaerie

I don't know what these things are called but I want one. Ya'll know, the things that let you do the comb/spiral binding on workbooks and such? Can somebody please recommend a good one? I'd like to be able to punch quite a few pages at a time (patience is not my specialty) but I also don't want to spend a ton of money. I also need ease of use as I rate negatively on the arts and crafts scale. :D

It's a comb-binding machine. :-)

Actually it can be either. Some of us have comb binders and some have spiral binders. I have a spiral one. It was about $130, and I love it. I don't like comb bound items, I don't care for the way the comb can crush and I like that with my spiral bound books I can flip them back on themselves.

Actually it can be either. Some of us have comb binders and some have spiral binders. I have a spiral one. It was about $130, and I love it. I don't like comb bound items, I don't care for the way the comb can crush and I like that with my spiral bound books I can flip them back on themselves.

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I also like spiral better than comb. Care to share which machine you have?

Have ya'll ever just used the pre-punched paper in your printer instead of punching the paper yourself?

Nope. How much does it cost? I go through reams and reams of plain paper, but I usually get it free or dirt cheap from Staples during their sales. I'm sure pre-punched paper probably costs a lot more than what I'm paying. I don't know how the price of the binding machine would compare long term though. I paid about $50 for mine when they had that deal on Amazon earlier this year (binding machine + 25 pro-click spines + a bunch of report covers that are good quality, sturdy covers).

I've never seen pre-punched paper, where did you see that?

This is the machine I have. It's a little more now then when I got it.

Thanks for the link! Here's the pre-punched paper: http://www.binding101.com/43-hole-pre-punched-paper.html

Definitely more expensive than plain paper, depending on how much I'd use the binder (not really sure on that yet).

Nope. How much does it cost? I go through reams and reams of plain paper, but I usually get it free or dirt cheap from Staples during their sales. I'm sure pre-punched paper probably costs a lot more than what I'm paying. I don't know how the price of the binding machine would compare long term though. I paid about $50 for mine when they had that deal on Amazon earlier this year (binding machine + 25 pro-click spines + a bunch of report covers that are good quality, sturdy covers).

Care to share a link for your machine? I'd love to compare.

Thanks for the link! Here's the pre-punched paper: http://www.binding101.com/43-hole-pre-punched-paper.html

Definitely more expensive than plain paper, depending on how much I'd use the binder (not really sure on that yet).

Interesting, I could never use it though because I'm as my DH calls me a paper snob. I won't use anything less than 28lb color laser jet paper in my printer. I like the smoothness of it, as well as the fact that because of the thickness it doesn't ghost through when I print double sided.

Interesting, I could never use it though because I'm as my DH calls me a paper snob. I won't use anything less than 28lb color laser jet paper in my printer. I like the smoothness of it, as well as the fact that because of the thickness it doesn't ghost through when I print double sided.

I'm okay with 20 lb. paper. I am wondering, though, if it would really cycle through the printer without the holes getting torn up.