Menu

Kindle Fire/wireless question

My wonderful in-laws gave me a Kindle Fire for Christmas! :D Unfortunately, neither they nor my dh realized that it only uses a wi-fi connection (dh has a regular Kindle, which uses 3G). I'm planning a trip to McDonald's later to get it set up (:D), but I also want to look into setting up wireless internet here at home. I'm totally clueless about what that involves, though--what equipment is needed and how much it costs. We'd need to do it as inexpensively as possible (and even then it may need to wait a while). I'm sure the workers at Best Buy can help, but I'd like an idea of what I need to do before we go. Any advice/instructions/suggestions for the totally clueless??

If you already have internet at home you can just buy a wireless router from walmart. Something like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-N-150-Wireless-Router/11060711

The least expensive options are usually around $25 or $30. All the of the instructions will be in the box and they are very simple to hook up to your existing internet modem.

ETA: If you have had service a long time and are eligible for upgrade with your current carrier you might be able to get a modem that has wireless built in from them for free. If that's not an option the router from walmart is your best bet.

Would this work with wireless internet? We can't get DSL or cable out where we live so we use a Cricket wireless modem that fits into a USB port.

If you already have internet at home you can just buy a wireless router from walmart. Something like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-N-150-Wireless-Router/11060711

The least expensive options are usually around $25 or $30. All the of the instructions will be in the box and they are very simple to hook up to your existing internet modem.

ETA: If you have had service a long time and are eligible for upgrade with your current carrier you might be able to get a modem that has wireless built in from them for free. If that's not an option the router from walmart is your best bet.

I would try it and see if it fit in your Fire. It's good to always have a cable for your wireless devices anyway.

Ok, just tried it. It looks like I'll be able to download stuff from my computer to the Kindle that way, but it's not opening the set-up options so I can register it and started. That's okay, though--at least I'll be able to download stuff at home until we can get a router. Looks like I've still got a McD's trip on the agenda this afternoon! :D

Ok, just tried it. It looks like I'll be able to download stuff from my computer to the Kindle that way, but it's not opening the set-up options so I can register it and started. That's okay, though--at least I'll be able to download stuff at home until we can get a router. Looks like I've still got a McD's trip on the agenda this afternoon! :D

This may help:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200729530

You should be able to do everything with the cable.