Menu

DS (12) would like to learn Calligraphy ..

Abbeygurl4

I'm assuming you mean Italic style or, at least, something in our alphabet and not Chinese or Japanese calligraphy.

If a person is really serious about it, they'll definitely want a good guidebook (the ones I have are all older so I don't know that I can advise about what). They'll also want good pens. A fountain pen is important. A decent art supply store will have lots of options and even somewhere like Staples will generally have a set. I don't know this brand, so I can't vouch for it especially, but a set like this with lots of different nibs is a good thing to start off with. And that set also has cartridges for ink - that's the easiest method for a beginner, I think. Also, I think it's nice for beginners to have cheap calligraphy markers like these. When I've taught it to middle school kids back when I taught school, they definitely took to the markers first.

You reminded me that I once had a nice calligraphy set. I forgot who taught it to me, perhaps a after school subject.

But I loved the kit I had that everything fit into nicely.

It was something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Calligraphy-Kit-Beautiful-Writing-Walter/dp/1560105720/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1324415471&sr=8-10

Mind you it was over 20 years ago.

I am a huge amateur but for what my advice is worth... I would also add lined calligraphy paper. It helps get the proportions of the letters right... just like when you are learning regular handwriting. The height of the lines on the paper needs to correspond to the nib width of the pen, so check your guide book to see what that should be.

I second the felt pen suggestion. It is challenging enough to make the letters right without having to figure out how to make the ink flow off the nib at the right rate so your paper isn't all splotchy. And black India ink does not come out of carpets. Ask me how I know!!

Edited by Milknhoney