Menu

Reading issues

I have a 9yo with autism reading at an early 2nd gr level & a 7yo reading at a early 1st gr level. We have tried multiple phonics programs & are finally making slow progress. I'm sure half of the problem was my inability to teach reading well.

It has been a hard 4 years! We have a long way to go & 2 more to teach to read, any tips, book lists?

:bigear:

When phonics is very difficult for a child, check the child's phonological skills. Speech and language pathologists can test for that. There are other ways to check it at home (and to develop those skills), but since many children with autism already work with slp's, I'd suggest if your child is already seeing an slp that you speak to your child's slp about it.

I have a 9yo with autism reading at an early 2nd gr level & a 7yo reading at a early 1st gr level. We have tried multiple phonics programs & are finally making slow progress. I'm sure half of the problem was my inability to teach reading well.

It has been a hard 4 years! We have a long way to go & 2 more to teach to read, any tips, book lists?

:bigear:

Well, the ONLY program that worked here was the I See Sam readers--phonics based but no workbooks and very different than most programs. Check out http://www.3rsplus.com and http://www.iseesam.com for samples of the books and placement tests.

My 16dd with an IQ of 38 AND severe LDs is now reading on a 4th grade level due to these books--and she should have never learned to read but is functional.

After you get through sets 3 or 4, you can start Apples and Pears spelling which is great as well.