Menu

more Media coverage on the dangers of CIO

it an old debate, one i am unsure as to why it is still going on -- the science says -- CIO releases stress hormones in the baby brain that effect growth and development. humm seems easy to me

more media coverage of it today

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/crying-dangerous-kids-one-expert-says-222400379.html

nothing really new; the research has been out there since i was explained to DH we'd NOT be CIO (2005)

but nice none the less --

i do take issue with one quote --

Most sleep-deprived parents get to the point where they're willing to try almost anything in order to get a good night's rest.

NOT ture -- i spent 4+ years getting up every 45 minutes -- up for 30 to 45 minutes at a time --

I NEVER once considered CIO -- he was a baby, he had needs, i was the momma

it an old debate, one i am unsure as to why it is still going on -- the science says -- CIO releases stress hormones in the baby brain that effect growth and development. humm seems easy to me

more media coverage of it today

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/crying-dangerous-kids-one-expert-says-222400379.html

nothing really new; the research has been out there since i was explained to DH we'd NOT be CIO (2005)

but nice none the less --

i do take issue with one quote --

NOT ture -- i spent 4+ years getting up every 45 minutes -- up for 30 to 45 minutes at a time --

I NEVER once considered CIO -- he was a baby, he had needs, i was the momma[/QUOTE]

I sure am glad you were supermomma. I was not. I couldn't think and could barely function. I think you are being unreasonable and putting guildt trips on other women in this forum.

If you are reading this, DO NOT FEEL GUILTY for letting your child cry sometimes. Seriously... I would hear him in the monitor and after several nights, I was SO tired and I meant to get up, but I fell back asleep. He did too, eventually because when I woke up several hours later he was asleep. I cannot get by with 45 minutes of sleep...

That is all.

i spent 4+ years getting up every 45 minutes -- up for 30 to 45 minutes at a time --

:iagree:

Thank you for sharing this. I never, ever had the hear to let mine cry it out. There was one night in particular where dd woke me up every 15 minutes. It was hard. I have no regrets.

I am pretty sure this article was already linked in a different thread on this topic. I don't understand the need to bring this up AGAIN this week. The type of neglect the author is talking about is not what anyone on this forum has said they have done. The quote from Ferber about his intention with the book is closer to what parents here are talking about. Parents are letting their child cry for short periods of time with methods of soothing other than picking them up. Several havr noted that it does not work for all children and they discontinued and tried something else with the child within 2-3 days. I am one of those people.

My dd is incredibly loving and attached to us. She is smart and has no worse attention span than any other 3-4 year old.

I don't understand your need to continue revisiting this subject. Why do you feel the need to make other parents feel guilty in the choices they have made? Each family must choose what is right for them. What is right for your family may not be right for someobe else's. No one is talking about neglecting their children, leaving them for hours day after day for mobths. Reread what people have said.

Each family must choose what is right for them. What is right for your family may not be right for someobe else's. No one is talking about neglecting their children, leaving them for hours day after day for mobths. Reread what people have said.

:iagree: BTW, some of us believe that a limited amount of crying is worth it if it results in better long-term sleep for the child. Waking up every 45 minutes, for years on end, doesn't seem to me to be any healthier for babies and toddlers than it is for their parents. A great deal of development and growth happens during the various stages of sleep.

Not saying that this makes me a better mother than those who never ever let their children cry :001_huh:, but just wanted to point out that this is a choice that's often made thoughtfully, after weighing the pros and cons (and looking at the research on both sides -- much of which, like the blog post cited here and in the other thread, is far from scientifically rigorous in its interpretations).

Edited by Eleanor

Well, congratulations, your child went 4+ years without ever getting a good night's sleep.

But wait, that means your child was crying during a lot of the time that sleep-trained children were sleeping. If crying is so bad for babies, it seems to me that getting them to sleep would make them smarter. Oh yeah, there is a ton of research proving that better sleeping improves both learning and behavior.

I really dislike the tone of this thread. It seems nothing more than patting oneself on the back at others' expense.

Well, congratulations, your child went 4+ years without ever getting a good night's sleep.

But wait, that means your child was crying during a lot of the time that sleep-trained children were sleeping. If crying is so bad for babies, it seems to me that getting them to sleep would make them smarter. Oh yeah, there is a ton of research proving that better sleeping improves both learning and behavior.

I really dislike the tone of this thread. It seems nothing more than patting oneself on the back at others' expense.

:iagree: