Menu

older kids with sensory disorders

It seems like a lot of the books recommended for SPD kids are geared for younger kids...mine is almost 10 and we are still learning how to best help him. He falls quite low on the spectrum, but he still has certain issues. Are there good books for older kids....or will the information and activities suggested work with older kids even though to me they sound sort of silly and immature. I own The Out of Sync Child and the Out of Sync Child has Fun and I just bought Sensational kids. I haven't read this one, but a lot of the kids sited in the book (from what I can tell) are younger (some much yonger) than 10 and so that makes me wonder if this book is for us. Can someone shed some light on this for me?? thanks.

Have you talked to his OT? They can offer a WEALTH of information on exercises, activities and even games/puzzles you can play to help, all depending on your child's specific issues. When we wanted to take a break from OT about a year ago, I had our OT make up a list of things we could do at home a few times a day, to 'neutralize' his system when it was out of whack...most of them are good for anybody to do, of course, but particularly help his issues.

Have you talked to his OT? They can offer a WEALTH of information on exercises, activities and even games/puzzles you can play to help, all depending on your child's specific issues. When we wanted to take a break from OT about a year ago, I had our OT make up a list of things we could do at home a few times a day, to 'neutralize' his system when it was out of whack...most of them are good for anybody to do, of course, but particularly help his issues.

he doesn't have an OT...not really, anyway. We did see one for a diagnosis, but after several sessions, she told us that my son is so mild that he didn't need to come back, so we haven't and that was 2 years ago. So the things we did with him then, he has outgrown, or it no longer helps...yes, we could probably go back, but the OT wasn't that close to our home and it was sort of hard to get there...and if she would dismiss us again, I don't know if I would want to go back anyway. So I was hoping that there would be a book that would give me ideas now that I know what his needs are....unless those would have changed (is that possible?)