Menu

need input 4 history plan with or w/o MOH3

klg

I have a 3rd grader and a 1st grader. History is the one thing we do well. We have done mystery of history 1 and 2 and we love it. I have filled in at the end of the year with SOTW in order to stay on the timeline track recommended by well trained mind. I can hardly bare the thought of not doing mystery of history next year, but volume 3 only goes to the year 1700 I think it is and i'm supposed to get to 1850 this year. it is kind of a big price tag for us for just the 100 years we will get out of moh3, and then i feel the 8 year plan will be derailed. i'm not real excited about just doing SOTW instead. What would you do if you were me? it is such a fascinating 100 year time period, but how can i devote a whole year to do that book--what would i do with the well trained mind plan? do i just wait to do moh3 the second time around? i've been sweating this for the last 3 months and i need to make a decision and lay it to rest!

I would either save MOH for logic stage (I'm going to do that with all of the MOH), or take a few lessons here and there, and combine it with SOTW. You could actually use a few lessons now, and save the rest for logic, also.Check Paula's Archives to see if anyone has already combined them. I know there are helps for the first two.

This is a hard call. You know that MOH 4 & 5 won't be out for a while, so then what? Here's 2 thoughts.

1-Have you thought about what you would do after MOH3? Are you wanting an "open-and-go" History book? You will probably have to "tweak" that last year of your rotation. If you plan on sticking to a 4 year cycle then you know they'll go through all this 2 more times. So I'd keep w/ MOH (b/c you enjoy it) and since you're going to have to tweak anyway, why not?

2-Or...drop it now, find something else that you like and maybe pick it up on the next rotation.

I've come to grips w/ the fact that Linda's not finished writing MOH and I'm going to have to be patient :) But that's why we're switching to WP--they use MOH for the spine (and we too are thoroughly enjoying MOH) so I figure I'll just follow their plan and hopefully they'll add MOH 3-5 as they come out.

It is hard to imagine spending that kind of money on history....but since you enjoy it I'd keep using it and worry about next year....well, next year :D