Menu

? for those who use exercise DVDs at home - how to add in new DVDs/rotate DVDs

I have been exercising at home with DVDs for about two and a half years. Here is where I have kind of "settled" in my exercising:

Monday - Brazil Butt Lift-Sculpt with (mostly) 10-lb weights

Tuesday - Brazil Butt Lift - BumBum and High & Tight

Wednesday - Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training with 10-lb weights

Thursday - Brazil Butt Lift - BumBum and High & Tight

Friday - Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones with (mostly) 8-lb weights

Saturday - Brazil Butt Lift - BumBum and High & Tight

For the most part, I am happy with the shape my body is in (except for the durn cellulite on my butt and thighs that will. not. go. away.). BUT, I am also getting rather bored with the same thing week after week. BUT, I am also worried about changing what I am doing out of fear of "losing" what I have gained - especially in the leg/butt department with BBL. Though, I will NEVER, EVER be able to pass the pencil test! :tongue_smilie: Jillian and Jackie both have new DVDs out (Jillian Extreme Shed and Shred and Personal Training with Jackie 30 Day Fast Start) which look good and would fit my time constraints. But, I don't know how to incorporate them?? As you can tell I don't like cardio at. all. I know that is probably what should be added in, but it ain't gonna happen.

Can someone give me some advice on a schedule? I know many of you have GOBS of DVDs. Do you just pop in what you feel like that morning. I am not nearly that random. My OCD-ness needs a plan.

TIA.

PS. I realize I am probably overthinking this. That's just how I roll! :D

Off the top of my head, Chalean Extreme. Very little jumping if at all.

In early January, there will be a new program called Pump! It is barbell work. BB partnered with Les Mills to create a home version of the popular weight lifting class.

I am so glad you are on here! You are always so helpful!! I appreciate the suggestions greatly. Can you please tell me more about Pump!? Barbells like as in a weight set or hand weights?

In the meantime I am still trying to get how to add in/rotate other stuff. I don't know that I want to completely replace what I am doing. This is my dilemma. But, I don't have any additional time, so I am trying to figure out how to rotate something new in. Maybe I do what I am doing every other week and then add something new for the other week???

I am so glad you are on here! You are always so helpful!! I appreciate the suggestions greatly. Can you please tell me more about Pump!? Barbells like as in a weight set or hand weights?

In the meantime I am still trying to get how to add in/rotate other stuff. I don't know that I want to completely replace what I am doing. This is my dilemma. But, I don't have any additional time, so I am trying to figure out how to rotate something new in. Maybe I do what I am doing every other week and then add something new for the other week???

Since you are getting bored, I was thinking that you might want to move in a different direction. So the time expenditure would be the same.

How about a yoga day or pilates day?

Off the top of my head, Chalean Extreme. Very little jumping if at all.

In early January, there will be a new program called Pump! It is barbell work. BB partnered with Les Mills to create a home version of the popular weight lifting class.

Thank you for mentioning this. It looks interesting but probably will be a bit expensive.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/les-mills-pump-workout.do

This thread is very interesting and relevant to me, since I'm going through the same exact thoughts these days - how to do a good rotation. I'm OCD also, or, as they say on pinterest -

82401868151557298_UW8osUTw_c.jpg

Anyway, when it comes to this very topic, I've become obsessed. :DI started a similar thread, although my workouts are different to yours, on the Video Fitness forums. I think you'd like those forums.

As for me, I get bored very easily and need lots of variety.

I don't have BBL, although I wouldn't mind getting it. I'm quite sure I would fail the pencil test also. I'm scared to even ask what it is :tongue_smilie:.

cellulite on my butt and thighs that will. not. go. away.).

As you can tell I don't like cardio at. all. I know that is probably what should be added in, but it ain't gonna happen.

If you need specific tips for cellulite, let me know. Might help.

I'm no longer a lover of heavy duty cardio either, as you'll see on that thread.

Someone wrote this on that thread:

"You don't need the perfect rotation. You just need a good mix of the right kind of exercise that you enjoy enough to keep doing and that don't make you ravenous."

How about a yoga day or pilates day?

:iagree:

This thread is very interesting and relevant to me, since I'm going through the same exact thoughts these days - how to do a good rotation. I'm OCD also, or, as they say on pinterest -

82401868151557298_UW8osUTw_c.jpg

Anyway, when it comes to this very topic, I've become obsessed. :DI started a similar thread, although my workouts are different to yours, on the Video Fitness forums. I think you'd like those forums.

As for me, I get bored very easily and need lots of variety.

I don't have BBL, although I wouldn't mind getting it. I'm quite sure I would fail the pencil test also. I'm scared to even ask what it is :tongue_smilie:.

If you need specific tips for cellulite, let me know. Might help.

I'm no longer a lover of heavy duty cardio either, as you'll see on that thread.

Someone wrote this on that thread:

"You don't need the perfect rotation. You just need a good mix of the right kind of exercise that you enjoy enough to keep doing and that don't make you ravenous."

:iagree:

I would love any and all ideas re: cellulite!!! Puh-lease! And, any specific suggestions for a yoga or pilates DVD would be appreciated. I am seriously considering going for the Pump! from Beachbody when it comes out.

ETA: Pencil test means a pencil will NOT stay under your butt cheeks if you place it there. NOT flexed butt cheeks - just *there* butt cheeks. BBL has helped me tremendously, but I cannot completely overcome the effects of 47 years (almost 48) of gravity!!!!

Disclaimer: I'm not doing this yet because a back/knee injury got me sidelined and I'm going to have to start over at the beginning. :glare:

What I was doing:

I made lists of all my DVDs. I have over 50. I organized them by cardio, yoga, strength, or a mixture. I then ordered them by length, i.e., 20 min, 45 min, 60 min, etc. For the next week, I would plan to alternate a cardio three days, a strength 2 days, and a yoga-type. If one was short or focused on one body area, I added it to another on that day. I shot for 30-45 min total per day and had hoped to work up to 60 min cardio eventually.

Another idea: I've read that our bodies get accustomed to whatever we do in approximately 3 weeks. You could do your specific rotation for 3 weeks and then switch to a new plan for the following 3 weeks. OR just change one body focus each week so that over the 3 weeks you've switched them all. And then back again. KWIM?

I get a little OCD over this planning and know it really doesn't matter as long as I keep at it.

OTOH, it makes sense to keep doing what you enjoy and switch out only another when you get bored. Maybe each week you do your current plan, but one day per week you try a new workout from Netflix or your library.

hth

Disclaimer: I'm not doing this yet because a back/knee injury got me sidelined and I'm going to have to start over at the beginning. :glare:

What I was doing:

I made lists of all my DVDs. I have over 50. I organized them by cardio, yoga, strength, or a mixture. I then ordered them by length, i.e., 20 min, 45 min, 60 min, etc. For the next week, I would plan to alternate a cardio three days, a strength 2 days, and a yoga-type. If one was short or focused on one body area, I added it to another on that day. I shot for 30-45 min total per day and had hoped to work up to 60 min cardio eventually.

Another idea: I've read that our bodies get accustomed to whatever we do in approximately 3 weeks. You could do your specific rotation for 3 weeks and then switch to a new plan for the following 3 weeks. OR just change one body focus each week so that over the 3 weeks you've switched them all. And then back again. KWIM?

I get a little OCD over this planning and know it really doesn't matter as long as I keep at it.

OTOH, it makes sense to keep doing what you enjoy and switch out only another when you get bored. Maybe each week you do your current plan, but one day per week you try a new workout from Netflix or your library.

hth

Thank you! I know I need to do some cardio. I am sort of "afraid" to lessen up on what I am currently doing, but, OTOH, I don't have time to add any more time. If I were to do three days of cardio, that would eliminate three days of what I am currently doing! Does that make sense in an OCD-ish way???

Maybe I will drag out Jillian's Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism. I haven't done that in a long time. Because I didn't really like it! I feel like BBL Bum Bum should count as cardio but LG Gone Wild tells me it doesn't, and she should know! :D

I would love any and all ideas re: cellulite!!! Puh-lease!

First, I just heard about this and I think it's worth a try. I heard about it on the VF forums, but couldn't find the thread. You could also do a google search.

Now my own tips and notes.

WHAT TO EAT

The detoxifying properties of raw foods offer the most effective approach in preventing and reversing cellulite. There is a relationship between cellulite and body toxicity. Constipation is more common in women with cellulite, as is poor lymphatic drainage – the inefficient elimination of wastes that accumulate in spaces between cells. There is also a correlation between cellulite and poor circulation, poor liver function, and an underactive thyroid.

Eat raw as much as possible

Eat plenty of high-fiber foods – oat bran, whole grains, legumes (beans, split peas, lentils), vegetables, fruits

Eat more raw nuts and beans.

Get ample amounts of fluid to help prevent constipation

Drink water throughout the day to flush out unwanted toxins.

Increase consumption of foods that cleanse and support the liver – beets, artichoke leaves, turmeric, dandelion root and milk thistle teas

WHAT TO AVOID OR MINIMIZE

Keep animal protein and animal fats in your diet low. The one exception is good quality fish.

Caffeine impairs circulation and lymph flow. Drink green tea, dandelion tea, or hot water with lemon and ginger instead.

Processed food contains artificial substances that the body finds hard to eliminate, and is a factor in the development of cellulite. Steer clear of high GI foods like white bread, rice, and potatoes that raise levels of fat-storing insulin. Stick to a diet that contains natural and organic meats and vegetables, which are simply cooked.

SUPPLEMENTS

Gotu Kola has reduced cellulite in 80% of the people who tested it.

The participants took a gotu kola extract containing 30 mg of triterpenes three times a day.

Horse Chestnut Extract – you can take horse chestnut extract containing 10-20 mg of escin three times a day, or apply a salve with 0.5-1.5% escin topically.

Both of the above have been used successfully for varicose veins as well as for cellulite.

When you use caffeine topically, it can reduce cellulite effectively. Look for a salve or ointment with 0.5-1.5% Cola vera extract (14% caffeine). Apply it morning and night to the areas where you have the most cellulite.

OTHER TIPS

Obviously, women who are slim and athletic have the least amount of cellulite. Weight loss, should be gradual, particularly after the age of 40. Rapid weight loss could make the cellulite far more pronounced.

Exercise is very important in reducing cellulite. Be sure to get aerobic exercise (walking is a good choice) at least 5 times a week for a minimum of 30 minutes each time.

Few female athletes have cellulite because exercises replaces body fat with muscle, and prevents fat cells from becoming blocked with toxins. Running, swimming, cycling, and walking are all excellent ways to improve circulation and encourage the elimination of toxins.

Get into the habit of dry body brushing first thing every morning for 3 minutes to slough off dead skin cells and boost circulation. Regular dry skin brushing can greatly improve lymphatic drainage. Using moderate pressure and short strokes with a natural bristle body brush, brush the skin in an upward circular movement from the lower body up towards the heart. As well as stimulating blood circulation in the tiny capillaries near the skin, it will tone and tighten the skin and help reduce cellulite deposits.

Massage will stimulate the circulation of the lymphatic drainage system and speed up toxin elimination.

Rebounding is also great for lymphatic drainage and toxin elimination.

In the morning jump-start your body by gradually turning your warm shower water to cold. Let it run for a minute all over your face and body to give the lymphatic system a boost, and tone up the skin to leave it tingling.

any specific suggestions for a yoga or pilates DVD would be appreciated.

As you probably already know, collagevideo is a fabulous site.

You can do all sorts of searches and watch video clips. It's hard to recommend DVDs when I don't know your exact taste or level.

I love how you can refine your search on this site - by instructor, level, type of workout, etc.

Have fun searching.

Videofitness.com is another great site, but no video clips – very helpful reviews, however.

My all-time favorite yoga DVDs (and, trust me, I have LOTS of them) are the ones by Mark Laham. Both his yoga DVDs are my absolute favorites. I feel so energized and my muscles feel so stretched. He's a great instructor and you really get your $'s worth with each DVD - about 3 separate workouts in each DVD. He knows his stuff. Plus, he's not annoying, like some exercise videos can be.

You can only order his DVDs from his site, it seems.

His DVDs are done in a studio. I have lots of yoga DVDs, and, to me, he, is without a doubt, the absolute best. My former yoga instructor likes him a lot also. And her opinion is one that I obviously respect.

Iron Yoga

Tough and challenging

Uses weights

Good and clear instruction

Rodney Yee: Yoga Burn

Rodney Yee: Core Cross Train

Crunch Yoga Body Sculpt

I liked it.

Simple and nice

Good and basic yoga workout for those who are cautious of the "weird" stuff ;). This one's about as mainstream as you can get.

FAVORITE PILATES DVDs

This is what I read on another forum:

If you’re just starting out in Pilates, your form and breath is very critical. Learning the proper technique as a beginner is so important.

If you can't take a live Pilates class, which would be ideal, I would go with Stott Pilates practices as a beginner. The instructor, Moira, is soft-spoken and might come off as dry as dust, but is the best when it comes to learning the proper technique. I've read of so many beginners to Pilates get injured because they didn't start out with proper instruction. Instruction is so important for someone new to Pilates. The Level 1 in Stott Pilates is thoroughly boring and not needed. Go with the Level 2. It’s faster and she still teaches the correct technique. Level 2 is a keeper. Moira is a good teacher and stresses correct form. It may feel a bit tedious at first, but proper form is REALLY important.

After you find you're familiar with the correct form, then proceed on to more "fun" Pilates stuff.

I would not start with the 10-Minute Solution series. They are hurriedly put together trying to cram so much into 10 minutes that form is sometimes compromised; especially when the beginner isn't familiar with the correct alignment.

Learning the correct form of Pilates is similar to learning the correct form of barre workouts. It's all in the positioning.

Side note: I think the 10-Minute Solution series and others are fine for advanced and intermediate exercisers after the learning process is completed, however, and are a great choice for getting in short workouts.

Barre work is a great addition to Pilates. If you can do both, you'll get great results and feel great.

10-Minute Solution Pilates allows you to mix and choose whatever you want

5 different workouts

ETA: Pencil test means a pencil will NOT stay under your butt cheeks if you place it there. NOT flexed butt cheeks - just *there* butt cheeks.

Just did this and not sure if I did it properly. Once it stayed and once it fell ... dh had some funny comments about the whole test. :lol:

I want the BBL system. :D

What I was doing:

I made lists of all my DVDs. I organized them by cardio, yoga, strength, or a mixture. I then ordered them by length, i.e., 20 min, 45 min, 60 min, etc.

Tany, love this post. This is so me and the sort of thing I do. Thanks for the reminder and great suggestions. :D

Copied and pasted your suggestions. :)

Thanks so much for taking time to type all that out! I will have to spend some time studying!!

Where does one get gotu kola extract like the one you mentioned? What is it? Any side effects?

Thanks, again.

ETA: Is "rebounding" jumping on a little trampoline?

Cellulite is caused by fat under the skin and weak fibers in that skin. It happens to almost all women. The same thing that gives women our finely textured skin is what causes cellulite. It isn't special fat or 'trapped toxins' or anything like that. You can't rub something on yourself to make it go away. You can't spot reduce to make it go away. You can't eat special food to 'drain toxins' from your body etc.

Some creams have caffeine and that causes the skin to swell temporarily and that might reduce the appearance of cellulite. Some massage might cause a temporary swelling (like the cream) and reduce its appearance. None of this will actually make it go away.

If you reduce the fat you will reduce the appearance of cellulite. But almost all women have it, especially as we age and our skin becomes weaker.

There have been some laser treatments that have focused on increasing the collagen content of the surrounding skin. I don't think it was particularly successful but it was very expensive.

Thanks so much for taking time to type all that out! I will have to spend some time studying!!

Where does one get gotu kola extract like the one you mentioned? What is it? Any side effects?

Thanks, again.

ETA: Is "rebounding" jumping on a little trampoline?

Cynthia, you're most welcome. :) I just copied and pasted the info I have.

I myself have not tried gotu kola. I assume it's ayurvedic (which I like a lot, but still know rather little about). I don't know much about it. This might be of help. I get most of our supplements from vitacost. Vitacost has this one. I love Solaray, but there are also other brands.

Let me know if you need more info. :)

Yes, rebounding is jumping on a trampoline. That, and anything to help the lymphatic system and circulation is great for cellulite - dry body brushing, massage, etc.