Menu

How much do you pay for car insurance for you teens?

My dd just got her permit yesterday. We added her to the policy but it won't cost us any extra until she gets her license. I knew that when she got her license that it would increase our insurance. I really was prepared for a larger amount. They quoted us $331 every 12 months. Is that pretty good? That includes a discount for taking drivers ed (I thought that was required anyway) and a discount for good grades.

for full coverage on his car...he has a car payment. We increased our coverage because we own our home, we live near Atlanta and people are sue happy now-a-days to $500,000 plus we got an umbrella policy of $1M.

He pays $200 a month! That is with teensurance discount and the good grade discount.

We changed insurance companies and found this company to be cheaper for the policy we have.

Our old policy was not as much coverage as this and they wanted a lot more $$.

I called back and apparently the $331 was the quote for now until the end of the year. The actual amount would be $810/yr or about $68/month. Of course it's also this low because she would be driving our minivan and would be considered a part-time driver.

My son is a part-time driver on our toyota. We pay about $80. a month(for his coverage) , that includes a good grades discount. Wow, when you said $300 a year , I got all excited and was going to switch to your insurance co. Too bad. My friend's son has his own car and it is about $200 a month. Unless my son pays for it,we won't be doing that.

Sorry to excite everyone with the first amount I posted. I wish that it was $331 a year. That's actually the amount that they first told me but when I called back they clarified. So as long as dd doesn't get her own car it should remain relatively low but if she gets her own car it will skyrocket?

My dd just got her permit yesterday. We added her to the policy but it won't cost us any extra until she gets her license. I knew that when she got her license that it would increase our insurance. I really was prepared for a larger amount. They quoted us $331 every 12 months. Is that pretty good? That includes a discount for taking drivers ed (I thought that was required anyway) and a discount for good grades.

Holy cow, who are you with? Is that with comp and collision? I can't remember ours right now, but I want to say it's more than double what you're quoting...around $500 every 6 months?

ETA: Duh, I just finished reading the thread. Disregard, please.

Barb