Menu

Grammar to present deeper topics

So dd11 is about to finish up Winston Grammar. I was considering Killgallon but many have said she needs a deeper understanding of clauses and other topics that Winston does not cover. So without having to complete another whole program is there something that I could use to cover these skills?

If she's done a grammar program, she maybe just fine going into Killgallon. IF it were me, I'd just get the Killgallon book I want to use and see how it goes. If she is not getting it, then find something to supplement. You can find it on the internet for free I'm certain.

Do you understand how the Killgallon books work? Have you read any of the older threads? There are two books: Sentence Composing and Story Grammar for Elementary, Sent Composing and Grammar for Middle School. They are different. In SC for ELem and Grammar for Middle School, Killgallon teaches one grammar concept for each section and uses proper grammar terms. In Story Grammar for Elem and SC For Middle grades, the grammar concepts are all mixed together and often called not traditional grammar terms. I'm out of my house for a few days so I don't have access to my books to tell you those names. But you'd have to know the grammar terms yourself to use them while discussing w/ DC. FOr example, in one lesson our DC will be imitating sentences from literature that involve opening prep phrases, participial phrases, adjective clause. So those might all be under sentence openers, but they are all different grammar elements and those names aren't used. however, the 2 books are different enough (SC For Middle Grades and Grammar for middle Grades) that I will do both. SC for Middle Grades includes a bit of overlap w/ the other but also includes imitation at the paragraph level, not just sentences.

Edited by Capt_Uhura

If she's done a grammar program, she maybe just fine going into Killgallon. IF it were me, I'd just get the Killgallon book I want to use and see how it goes. If she is not getting it, then find something to supplement. You can find it on the internet for free I'm certain.

Do you understand how the Killgallon books work? Have you read any of the older threads? There are two books: Sentence Composing and Story Grammar for Elementary, Sent Composing and Grammar for Middle School. They are different. In SC for ELem and Grammar for Middle School, Killgallon teaches one grammar concept for each section and uses proper grammar terms. In Story Grammar for Elem and SC For Middle grades, the grammar concepts are all mixed together and often called not traditional grammar terms. I'm out of my house for a few days so I don't have access to my books to tell you those names. But you'd have to know the grammar terms yourself to use them while discussing w/ DC. FOr example, in one lesson our DC will be imitating sentences from literature that involve opening prep phrases, participial phrases, adjective clause. So those might all be under sentence openers, but they are all different grammar elements and those names aren't used. however, the 2 books are different enough (SC For Middle Grades and Grammar for middle Grades) that I will do both. SC for Middle Grades includes a bit of overlap w/ the other but also includes imitation at the paragraph level, not just sentences.

My impression of the differences between the grammar books and the SC books was as you described, but when I looked at the samples online last night, Grammar for Middle School seemed to have a lot of grammatical terms used, more than what I saw in the SC of the same level. I got really confused because it was the opposite of what I thought.

I was going to order, but I'll wait for some more feedback. Dd says she'd like to spend some time with spelling so we'll mess around with that for a few weeks. :tongue_smilie:

My impression of the differences between the grammar books and the SC books was as you described, but when I looked at the samples online last night, Grammar for Middle School seemed to have a lot of grammatical terms used, more than what I saw in the SC of the same level. I got really confused because it was the opposite of what I thought.

I was going to order, but I'll wait for some more feedback. Dd says she'd like to spend some time with spelling so we'll mess around with that for a few weeks. :tongue_smilie:

The books switch from elementary level to middle grades. Now, I'm away from home so I don't have the books with me. I can grab them tomorrow and verify what I've said and give some details. Anyhow, my memory says that Sentence Com for Elem Grades is similar to Grammar for Middle Grades. You have one topic per section. For example, one section on using participial phrases. Then Story grammar for Elem and Sent Comp for Middle Grades are similar in that you are imitating sentences (for ex:10 sentences) in one unit, but the grammar concepts are a mixture. I think they are called "Tools." Yes, Sent Comp for Middle Grades does have grammar terms, if I remember correctly it was toward the back, but not to the same extent as Sent Comp for Elem and Grammar for Middle School.

My 8th grader uses Killgallon's Grammar for Middle School: A Sentence Composing Approach. A Student Workbook.

Each section covers a specific *tool* for writing. For example, it starts with Sentence-composing toolbox: opening adjective and goes through subjects such as appositive phrases, infinitive phrases, and noun clauses.

Previously my son had worked through easygrammar online program (free). I would not describe him as having a deep understanding of complex grammar concepts (although I do think he has a good ear for detecting grammatically correct sentences and he enjoys the SAT questions of the day related to sentence structure). Nonetheless, he has benefited tremendously from the Killgallon text. Specifically, his sentence writing has grown from rather boring basic sentences into more creative and informative ones. This is what I see as the main benefit to the program. Students do not just learn the definition of various grammar terms. Instead, they read well-constructed sentences and then practice writing their own sentences using the grammar concept. My son enjoys writing these sentences as our cats are usually featured doing all sorts of funny antics. All around valuable program. :)