Menu

Phonics Instruction

Slipper

We're pulling our 1st grader out of school after Christmas break. (She turns 7 next week). I ordered Moving Beyond The Page (6-8) for her but noticed that it does not include phonics instruction.

Dd is a great reader and is working her way through simple chapter books like Magic Tree House, A-Z mysteries, Junie B Jones, etc. I know there is some debate whether a child who reads well still needs phonics instruction, but I'd like to go ahead and continue with it at least for the rest of this year.

Any suggestions for what we could use?

You could also use All About Spelling, it teaches all the rules for spelling which would hopefully carry over to her reading. All About Learning has just released All About Reading level 1 but that would probably be too easy for her although you could look at the samples and see for yourself.

Explode the code would be the simplest and easiest of them all as well as the cheapest. ;)

I would second a phonics based spelling program, and All About Spell (AAS) as a good one.

While they may not need a phonics right now as strong readers, they often begin to have problems later with multi-syllable rules because they begin to forget phonics. A good spelling program will take care of that potential problem and spelling at the same time.

Heather

You can see samples of Explode the Code herehttp://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntt=explode+the+code&N=0&Ntk=keywords&action=Search&Ne=0&event=ESRCG&nav_search=1&cms=1 and see if you can figure out where to place her. You could always start with book 1 if you wanted she would just move pretty fast through it. HTH!

Thank you for all the responses. I wanted to add that I am trying to make most of her schoolwork workbook rather than computer. Her handwriting is not good. She sees an Occupational Therapist for what we suspect is dysgraphia. She has a lot of spacing issues and difficulty forming her letters.

Although it's early, I might go ahead and teach her to type. Her spelling is great, story-telling is great, but handwriting is really bad.

Thanks again.

Thank you for all the responses. I wanted to add that I am trying to make most of her schoolwork workbook rather than computer. Her handwriting is not good. She sees an Occupational Therapist for what we suspect is dysgraphia. She has a lot of spacing issues and difficulty forming her letters.

Although it's early, I might go ahead and teach her to type. Her spelling is great, story-telling is great, but handwriting is really bad.

Thanks again.

Typing is an excellent option.

AAS uses tiles, which you can order separately and use with any program.

I generally use the tiles day 1, then a white board day 2, have him spell it out loud from memory day 3 (trying to visualize the words) and day 4 I finally have him sit down with pencil and paper. This way by the time the child has to use their motor skills they should already know how to spell it. When they are spelling it for the first time they don't have to write at all.

Heather

Typing is an excellent option.

AAS uses tiles, which you can order separately and use with any program.

I generally use the tiles day 1, then a white board day 2, have him spell it out loud from memory day 3 (trying to visualize the words) and day 4 I finally have him sit down with pencil and paper. This way by the time the child has to use their motor skills they should already know how to spell it. When they are spelling it for the first time they don't have to write at all.

Heather

:iagree:

The AAS tiles are wonderful. Make good use of a whiteboard and or chalkboard. Have her play with playdough and clay to help with her fine motor skills. Have you seen Handwriting Without Tears? It may be something that might help.