Menu

Theater Appreciation

Ok, having second thoughts about not having fine arts credit on the transcript. So, I'm thinking of creating a Theater Appreciation course that would be worth half a credit. We would mainly do it this summer. I would use this textbook:

http://www.amazon.com/Theater-Experience-Edwin-Wilson/dp/0072831820/

Our town has a great Shakespeare Festival. They do three Shakespeare plays, another play by a different playwright, a musical, and a children's theater production. I would get us season tickets. Then we could also go see productions at the many university, community colleges, and high schools in the area.

This source has some great stuff:

This website has great links to assignments, activities, etc.

http://ocw.usu.edu/Theatre_Arts/Understanding_Theatre/Activity_Three.html

I would definitely use his how to write a critique. I would also have them do the theater service project where they work for 10 hours somewhere. There is a children's theater that does homeschool classes or one week miniclasses/productions. They could easily work backstage at one of these one week productions.

Then I found this cool 91 page resource for a high school theater appreciation class. It has some worksheets, diagrams, quizzes that I will definitely use. http://honors.usf.edu/documents/Thesis/U44656354.pdf

What I was wondering was how many papers and how long should they be for this 1/2 credit?

Christine

I would use the test book "The Essential Theatre" or "Introduction to theatre" both by Oscar Brockett. He is one of the best sources on theatre. I used his books for most of my undergrad and graduate work in theatre. The first book has instructions on writing a good critique and how to evaluate different aspects of the production. Anything by Bracket will be a great resource his "History of the Theatre" will ne too much for high school.

For my three credit hour intro to theatre course (both the one I took, and the one I taight as a grad student) I wrote 2 papers about 3 pages in length. We read 4 plays in eacu course, plus covered the topics in the text. If you do that much, I would say that is worth a full high school credit. We read a portion of a Greek play, a portion of a Shakespeare play, a comedy of manners, and a contemporary play in the class I taught.

It could be fun to do a set painting workshop. If you can't find one, find a book of faux painting techniques for house and try some out. Most faux painting styles originated in the theatre :)

IIt could be fun to do a set painting workshop. If you can't find one, find a book of faux painting techniques for house and try some out. Most faux painting styles originated in the theatre :)

Grin.. Ok, this is not happening. They wouldn't even color with crayons when they were little. You know it is bad when the VBS teacher comes t you and says, "Your son really hates crafts, doesn't he>" That is why art appreciation isn't an option at my house. ( I've hated art as well since I was given all minus grades in elementary school. ( You could get -. check minus, check plus or plus.) I was SO glad when I went into middle school and could quit taking art.

I will check out those books. Thanks for the input.

Ok, having second thoughts about not having fine arts credit on the transcript. So, I'm thinking of creating a Theater Appreciation course

It is a small thing, but I wouldn't call it "Theater Appreciation". Anything "Appreciation" sounds fluffy to me. I might call it "Theater", or "Literature of Theater" or "Intro to Theater", or something like that.

It is a small thing, but I wouldn't call it "Theater Appreciation". Anything "Appreciation" sounds fluffy to me. I might call it "Theater", or "Literature of Theater" or "Intro to Theater", or something like that.

Good point. I'll do that. However, it will not be the hardest class the boys will take!:)