Menu

Curriculums/Supplements with Songs?

Paige

My DDs preschool is suddenly closing and there are no other schools she can attend. I had just recently signed her up about 8 weeks ago because she was getting bored and into trouble while I was doing school with the other kids. She loved preschool and I am very sad for her and myself. I know it will be hard Monday when she realizes she really isn't going back. :( I asked her what her favorite part of preschool was and she said it was all the songs. She loves singing and performing so I thought I'd try to find some kind of preschool thing to do with her at home that was music based or had songs as a big part of it. Any suggestions? She's my youngest, so I don't really want to spend too much on anything that will be used once. I also need it to be easy for me to implement because I can't devote all day to just her. It would be ideal if I could find a music/song based curriculum with a mix of parent directed and independent activities.

I know there's Sing, Spell, Read, and Write, but it gets mixed reviews and we already have a lot of phonics type things. It could be worth it, however, if she really liked it. She knows all of her letters and can say the sounds and write them but she is not good at blending or sounding things out. She can spell and write most CVC words but cannot read them unless she has just spelled them out herself and remembers what she wrote. I'm not sure what level of SSRW would be good for her. Is there anything else? I don't want to get the Wee Sing tapes and do it on my own. I know it wouldn't happen and I'd just feel corny. I actually had some Wee Sing tapes and books that came with another program and I tried it once and decided it was not for me.

She is a child who will be destructive if she's not occupied, so anything to keep her interested in doing school and not coloring and stamping on the walls, glitterizing the floor, or cutting the cat's hair would be helpful. Before I sent her to preK, I was offering her school but she was mostly refusing so I'd let her play by herself. I don't want to do that again, but I don't want to force her to sit with a workbook or coloring book when she doesn't want to. She's 4.