Menu

Books for Christmas thread: here are my winners, please tell yours!

I'll address all ages, starting with youngest:

Early elementary age:

-Enid Blyton books, The Wishing Chair and The Faraway Tree. To be honest, I thought I'd die of...something, maybe boredom, reading them to ds, but he LOVED these (got the HB compilations) and has read them to himself several times.

-Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl. I know they're not for everyone but Dahl is big here.

-Lang Fairy books. Youngest ds has gotten one for Christmas for several years running now and he's a fan

10-14:

-Half Brother. Found it recommended here and it was a hit.

-Hunger Games books (older kids, actually, but my 14 yo loved these).

-Action Philosophers-comic books with short entries about various philosophers

-Thank You for Arguing-lighthearted look at rhetoric and its everyday uses

-The Complete Hitchhiker's Guide by Douglas Adams

14-adult:

-John Granger books about HP. Very interesting literary analysis of HP. HP was so important in my kids' childhood, it can't help be thought-provoking to them.

-anything by Bill Bryson. We've read A Short History of Nearly Everything and his Shakespeare biography, but almost anything.

-The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks-another thought-provoking book

-Steve jobs biography. It'll be for my eldest-after I finish it :lol:

Next? I need some ideas!

Youngest: Usborne's Farmyard Tales

8 year old: True Spy Stories

11 year old: The Invention of Hugo Cabret (Selznick)

12 year old: The Graveyard Book (Gaiman)

I've had good luck with the Moomintroll books, true non-fiction (WWII tales), Chickens to the Rescue!, Tomie dePaulo, Coraline, and the Star Wars Clone series.

If I had to start over I might get The Elements of Pop-up (how to make pop up books) or an Uncle Albert book.

We are drowning in yet-to-be-read books here, and our inter-library loan system is spectacular, so DD9 is only getting Museum of Thieves, while DD6, whose reading skills have suddenly exploded out of nowhere, is getting Elephant & Piggie's We Are in a Book!. It will be the first Elephant & Piggie book she'll be able to read to herself, and she's going to be thrilled to pieces!

I, on the other hand, have ordered for myself (and will be wrapping and putting under the tree) the following: Drive: 9 Ways to Motivate Your Kids to Achieve, History of the Ancient World, and History of the Medieval World. I'm trying so hard to finish up the library books I have out right now so I can dive right into HOAW on Christmas night! :tongue_smilie:

DH doesn't read much--he's an audiobook kind of guy--so no books for him.

Ds#1 is getting the two newest Rick Riordan books in the Heroes of Olympus series: The Lost Hero and The Son of Neptune. He has read the first 5 Percy Jackson books three times and cannot get enough of this author. My mom bought him The Action Bible since he loves his bible and comic books.

Ds#2 is younger, so he's getting a variety of picture books. I can't remember all that I've bought so far, but one that comes to mind is The Pout, Pout Fish in the Big, Big Dark. I know I picked up a couple of Curious George books as well.

Dh and I are not buying for each other this year, so no books for us. This is okay because we each have stacks by our bed waiting to be read.

I've had a heck of a time finding good books for my kids this year! One of my dds asked for ONLY books, too. Now, I haven't read these books myself yet, BUT I did spend a lot of time on many different review sites to compare books and find some clean reads. I'm hoping they truly are good ones. Here is what I chose:

My 7yodd: In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen and A Little Shopping both by Cynthia Rylant

11yo-14yo:

Regarding the Fountain by Kate Klise

Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George

Princess of Glass by Jessica Day George

The False Princess by Eilis O'Neal

he Lovely Shoes Tby Susan Shreve

The Stolen One by Suzanne Crowley

The Exiles by Hilary McKay

The Time Pirate by Ted Bell

The Name of This Book is Secret by Psuedonymous Bosch

Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat