Menu

Feeling panicky...

Hi Everyone,

I'm not much of a poster here but I just love gleaning from all of your great information. Thank you all for the time and effort you put into helping!:D

I'm really feeling panicky about preparing my son for college. He just finished 9th grade so I've got three years left. His goal is to be a biology major at a University of California school (looking right now at Irvine and San Diego).

My head just spins at trying to figure any of it out! :willy_nilly: I really feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't know where to start. I'm paranoid that he won't get into a UC because I'm not doing things right.

Will some of you kind souls just point me in the right direction? In my sphere of influence, I am the only one with a kid who is on the college track and is this far into the game. I really have no "mentor" IRL for this. If I ever figure this out, I will certainly be willing to hold the hand of anyone who comes after me on this journey!;)

Just lost...

Ronette

dual enrollments. Look at the req. he needs for hs graduation that are the same basic courses for the first two years of college. Do the college/university accept CLEP? Use CLEP to get some electives (if not all) and some not critical (to the Biology major) courses out of the way.

Just my .5cent.

HTH

dual enrollments. Look at the req. he needs for hs graduation that are the same basic courses for the first two years of college. Do the college/university accept CLEP? Use CLEP to get some electives (if not all) and some not critical (to the Biology major) courses out of the way.

Just my .5cent.

HTH

I'm pretty sure that the UC system does not accept CLEP.:001_unsure:

Ronette

The best way to gain entrance into a UC school for a homeschool student is by transferring in from a community college. Your son can start taking classes next fall, which will count towards high school and college. The UC schools do not accept transcripts and diplomas from schools that do not have WASC accreditation (except for UC Riverside) and we independent homeschoolers are not certifited by the Western Association of State Colleges! I know several homeschoolers that have gone this route quite successfully.

Another option is to do high school through one of the charter schools with WASC accreditation that serve homeschoolers in California. The one I'm with has been very flexible and supportive of how I choose to homeschool -- because most of the teachers and administrators are homeschoolers themselves.

I'm sure you are doing great with your academics at home -- its just the bureaucracy that is a bit of a challenge!

The UC schools do not accept transcripts and diplomas from schools that do not have WASC accreditation (except for UC Riverside) and we independent homeschoolers are not certifited by the Western Association of State Colleges!

We're not?:lol:

I'm sure you are doing great with your academics at home -- its just the bureaucracy that is a bit of a challenge!

So, UC will accept kids who did CC work during their high school years? I guess I'll start looking at Fullerton CC, Cypress, etc.:confused:

Do you happen to know if UC still requires SAT and SAT subject tests if you've done the CC thing?

Thank you so much, Jenn!! This particular kid is my "genius" kid and I am really trying to do right by him. His passion has been science since he could talk.;)

Oh, Polly...:seeya:! Good to see you here!:001_smile:

Do you happen to know if UC still requires SAT and SAT subject tests if you've done the CC thing?

One homeschooler I know took the CHSPE -- I think that is the acronym as it is something like the California High School Proficiency Exam. Its like a GED -- if you pass you get the equivalent of a high school diploma. She was 16 at the time, did 2 years of CC and now is in UC San Diego. She never did any SATs.

Check out the websites of the UC campuses and the CC campuses. All the CCs have "articulation agreements" with the UC and State schools so that your courses transfer and cover for UC general ed requirements. You can start those while in high school. I hear some of the CCs are welcoming to homeschoolers while others are a pain in the neck to deal with.

My current high schooler is planning on CC locally, in San Diego, then he wants to transfer to Cal State Fullerton. Sounds like our kids are wanting to switch areas with each other -- yours to UC San Diego and mine up to Fullerton!

Is there a co-op near you, perhaps with someone teaching the sciences?

Not that I know of but he is taking his science courses through The Potter's School. He just finished biology and received a 99% for the year end grade.:) He'll be taking chemistry with them in the coming year.

Jenn, that's funny that our kids are considering switching spots.:001_smile: Thanks for all of the input!