Menu

Oppositional to schooling and other issues

I'm not exactly sure of how to ask this, so I'll just just toss a bit out there and hope that someone's been here.

I have a 7 year old with severe epilepsy and a special diet. He was in public Kindergarten last year and I didn't feel he learned anything. He resisted going *every day*, wandered around, and refused to do work most days. With things being as they are I felt it would be better to homeschool him this year.

This year things have become more complicated with his diet. I'm literally feeding him every bite of food, ever ounce of water. Things like dressing, batheing, wiping bottom, and brushing teeth are long, extended affairs of cajoling, pushing, and outright forcing sometimes.

Oh, and now I should teach him something too.

Has anyone dealt with Oppositional (ODD or otherwise) behavior? How do you get through a reading lesson? What standards do you hold up when you 're barely keeping it together without the lessons?

Before all of this he was a very bright child, and even now (after 3 years of constant seizures) he can be very personable and is able to do the Kindergarten reading, simple phonics, and math work I have for him. But he won't, and I'm tired.

Thoughts? Neurologist isn't much help. She tsks but considers the elimination of the seizures as the first thing. Neurospsych couldn't get much out of him when he was tested 1.5 years ago.

Has the oppositional behavior gotten worse or better with med changes? Just asking as some seizure meds can cause behavior issues. Tough one as you have to control the seizures but balance that with side effects.

For us Lamictal has HELPED with the academics and focus.

It's definitely a side effect of some medications, but it's also a part of his diagnosis. I haven't noticed that the most recent medication is noticeably worse even though that is the one with the side effect.

His neurologist even admits that its impossible to tell the difference between aggression and opposition from the diagnosis (based on damage from the seizures) and the medication. Because of this...and the fact that he's in the top 90% of kids with the diagnosis right now (most have brain damage, etc. and he's pretty normal) she's against any sudden changes in medication which could cascade into something worse.

I've actually been very lax this year academically, especially since he's lost weight, but I'm feeling that clock ticking. Maybe I just need to accept that despite his apparent normality (it always seems like he can do all this stuff but he just refuses to do so) he just can't do this yet?

I guess I just don't have a map for this, no one seems to. :glare:

I'm not exactly sure of how to ask this, so I'll just just toss a bit out there and hope that someone's been here.

I have a 7 year old with severe epilepsy and a special diet. He was in public Kindergarten last year and I didn't feel he learned anything. He resisted going *every day*, wandered around, and refused to do work most days. With things being as they are I felt it would be better to homeschool him this year.

This year things have become more complicated with his diet. I'm literally feeding him every bite of food, ever ounce of water. Things like dressing, batheing, wiping bottom, and brushing teeth are long, extended affairs of cajoling, pushing, and outright forcing sometimes.

Oh, and now I should teach him something too.

Has anyone dealt with Oppositional (ODD or otherwise) behavior? How do you get through a reading lesson? What standards do you hold up when you 're barely keeping it together without the lessons?

Before all of this he was a very bright child, and even now (after 3 years of constant seizures) he can be very personable and is able to do the Kindergarten reading, simple phonics, and math work I have for him. But he won't, and I'm tired.

Thoughts? Neurologist isn't much help. She tsks but considers the elimination of the seizures as the first thing. Neurospsych couldn't get much out of him when he was tested 1.5 years ago.

I hear you I have 2 with Conduct disorder. So far the only "help" I get is being told to put them in ps. Of course the kids were in ps and it was worse, they were always in trouble for refusing to comply and do their work etc. Today the battle with my oldest is his assigned reading, he needs to read to himself the equivalent of 3.5 pages in pedro's Journal while I finish up with the other kids. This has been a several hour battle. If I give in and put it off for later he still doesn't do it and figures he has won, so that is not an option. I have to dig my heels in and demand it is done now but it is making my quite stressed/tired. I wish I had a solution for you. I have been dealing with this for years now, ever since my kids started ps in K. They are now gr 6 & 7 and I am so done with it.