Menu

Need recipe: Chicken and rice casserole type thing without can o' soup.

I have chicken. I have rice. I have a disposable tin casserole dish. I have to take a meal to a friend.

I don't have the recipe.

Pretty please?

Thanks.

~Jo

Update***

It turns out this recipe is what I'm going with but with much tweaking.

I'm sharing because I have never heard of her and she is funny! Summer of Hummus and Winter of Potato...funny. And the, "Hello, God" comment towards the end. Uh-huh.

http://www.workitmom.com/bloggers/orderingdisorder/2008/01/24/roasted-potatoes-carrots-and-chicken-breasts/

And thanks for the advice about the roux. One day I'll do it. There is something about the stirring and heat constancy while answering questions from 7 kids that scares me. Perhaps I wasn't clear about my fears. I have a risotto experience that left permanent scarring. :D

Thanks again.

~Jo

Edited by battlemaiden

I have a recipe that I make separately from the rice, and then add on top like a gravy. It's from my mil:

chicken breasts (I make 5 for my family of 4)

butter

flour

mushrooms (we use canned, but fresh is fine)

onions (optional, I use frozen chopped)

spinach (optional)

chicken bullion

mozzarella cheese

onion powder

Flour chicken, brown in butter. Take out and saute mushroom (and onions and spinach) in butter (okay, so NOT the healthiest meal out there...) Add bullion, onion powder, and flour to make a gravy/sauce. Boil 1 min or until thickened.

Spray baking dish with Pam. Combine all in pan and cook at 375* for 15 minutes. Add cheese on top and cook 5 more minutes.

The spinach isn't in the original recipe, but I added it because it tastes good and adds another vegetable, which makes this a complete meal-in-one. My in-laws eat it with salad and no spinach.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206323

I found this thread of a no-can-soup recipe.

I saw that too. The word roux scared me :D, so I went back to google. It just seems this shouldn't be that hard.

It doesn't even have to be creamy. I have a beef and rice layered casserole thing that all I have to do is dump a can of tomato over it and bake. That is what I'm looking for I guess.

~Jo

1/2 lb breakfast sausage, browned and drained

2-3 cups cooked chicken (or turkey!) chopped

1/2 to 1 cup diced celery (we add more because we really like celery)

1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp garlic powder

pepper

1.5 cups rice (uncooked)

3 cups chicken broth

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Evenly spread celery, chicken, and sausage across the bottom of a casserole dish. Top evenly with rice and then sprinkle on seasonings. Pour in the chicken broth. Cover with tinfoil and bake at 350 for approx 45 minutes. Remove and top with cheese. Let the cheese melt and then enjoy!

I saw that too. The word roux scared me :D, so I went back to google. It just seems this shouldn't be that hard.

It doesn't even have to be creamy. I have a beef and rice layered casserole thing that all I have to do is dump a can of tomato over it and bake. That is what I'm looking for I guess.

~Jo

Making a white sauce from a roux is super easy. Melt 2 T butter. Whisk in 2 T flour and keep stirring for a bit until the flour browns. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of milk and keep stirring until it thickens. Season with salt and pepper. If you want a cheese sauce, take off the heat and stir in shredded cheese. I often saute chopped onions in the butter and add the flour, then milk as normal.

Here is one of our favorites.

Bon Appetit!

:)

Scalloped Chicken Supreme

2 cups cooked rice

3 cups cooked chicken, cubed

3 cups gravy

1/2 cup of slivered almonds

2 tablespoons chopped pimento

1 can of mushroom stems/pieces

2 cups buttered bread crumbs

Gravy

6 tablespoons fat (I use butter)

6 tablespoons flour

3 cups of liquid (water, boullion cup broth or milk)

Add fat to saucepan and melt over low heat. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook over low heat until it is bubbly/brown. Stir in liquid, taking the pan off heat to avoid lumps. Return pan to heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Season and serve.

Place alternate layers in a 9x13 pan of rice, chicken and gravy. Sprinkle almonds, pimentos and mushrooms over each layer. Top with buttered bread crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.