Menu

Ques. for Math Experts!!

If a student did Key to Math for Algebra, TT for Geometry, and then was struggling through Precalc, but getting help on the internet----would it be too much to put them in Calculus senior year if they really, really want to take it?? My friend is wondering what to do for dd and this is her math history. She will be a senior next year and is very good at winging things---but dd really wants to take Calc at the local public school. Too much??

If she really really wants it then she should go for it.

BUT she needs to know that she would be facing an incredible amount of work. At a guess probably 3 to 4 hours a day just to keep up. If she is ready to put in that much effort then I would give her the chance.

dd really wants to take Calc at the local public school. Too much??

Can she find out if there are different levels of Calc offered? Perhaps there is a calc-for-business students, or a gentle intro calc course? That might work out. It seems like many schools have a whole tiered system of varying levels of such math courses...

There was a thread somewhere... about a study done on struggling calc students. They took half and tutored them on calc. The other half did extra work with basic math skills. The basic math group advanced further.

So, if she really wants to do calc next year, I recommend she work on her speed and accuracy of basic math skills over the summer (as in hundreds of problems without a calculator.)

And I also think the 3-4 hours a day of homework is realistic.

Thanks for the advice, I will pass it on. I guess I am also wondering if skipping Alg 2 IS truly an option for math bright kids? Is it really necessary to take 2 years of Algebra if you can pick up the rudiments you need over the internet when you hit a jam?? IS Key to Algebra a full Algebra 1 program?? If I can use it with my ds, that would save me $$$$ over TT...

I have a BA in math and secondary ed certificate in WA. In my opinion, Keys to Algebra is not a full algebra I program. I might use it with a struggling student in a remedial setting, but only if I expected them not to go on to higher math than geometry or consumer math. Also, I wouldn't skip algebra II. I might skip pre-calc if a student had done a rigorous algebra II with trig--then go right to calc. Just my 2 cents. I'm not very familiar with TT so I won't comment on that as prep for calc.

I'd be really careful about skipping Al II.....it is WAY more than Al I, not just a rehash. Our ds will take Calc next year and we thought really seriously about skipping Pre-Calc, having had a really thorough Al II and Trig couse, but...when I looked carefully through the pre-calc materials I decided, and ds agreed, that the deeper level of understanding and exposure was well worth the extra semester.

I would personally not want to walk into Calculus unless my al II was solid as a rock.

Thanks. :001_smile: I am leery of skipping Alg II for my kids----and that is good to know that it is so necessary to continue to Calc! So---if anyone knows since i am no expert and just looking at Key to Alg it looks like a thorough Alg 1 course---what exactly is missing? :glare: