Menu

When did your kid finish with SWR?

tristangrace

This is our first year with SWR, and my understanding is that

1) the program lasts five-six years if you started with a five-year-old

2) the kids are tested each year and eventually "test out."

Is that correct? And if you used SWR to completion, how old was your child when he/she started and how old when he/she finished.

Thanks!

This is our first year with SWR, and my understanding is that

1) the program lasts five-six years if you started with a five-year-old

2) the kids are tested each year and eventually "test out."

Is that correct? And if you used SWR to completion, how old was your child when he/she started and how old when he/she finished.

Thanks!

My oldest reached 7th grade...then stayed there for a year...I found AAS and that worked better. I can't remember what she tested at last time (end of last year) but it was over 7th grade...she just hit a wall with SWR. I think she struggled to find the rules when she needed them and apply them. When we went back to cover lists more quickly for review, she would get all the same words wrong again, despite working on them for a couple of months the year before. I think she was relying heavily on visual memory as much as applying the rules. The more sequential pace in AAS allowed me to see what was going on, stop, and have her start teaching the rules to me to internalizing the rules better. She got beyond the wall and is still improving.

SWR is good and I still use a lot of Wanda's and trainer ideas, but I just couldn't keep up with it long term. I can do AAS at a much slower pace and much less time commitment. It was just more doable for me with four kids.

But she was 3rd grade, if I remember right, when she hit the wall with SWR. Theoretically she should have been able to "test out" in a couple of years...or less. Depends on how much time I devoted to it each day and how much "clicked".

Heather

Theoritically, they should start applying the SWR rules and phonograms to longer/harder words that they encounter in reading. Then they should start using those words in their writing. Finally, after they "test out" of SWR, they are ready to move to a roots-and-affixes-based vocab study.