Menu

AAR1 and sight words

melmichigan

Here is the list of words that are taught as sight words taught in Level 1: the, a, of, was, to, said, I, for, no, do. Five of the words (to, I, for, no, do) have notes by them saying that they are only treated as sight words because a particular sound hasn't been taught yet. For example, next to the word "to" is this note: "We are treating the word to as a sight word because it contains the third sounds of o, which has not been taught yet."

All other words taught in Level 1 are phonetic.

Also, the Word Cards that have the sight words on them have a little picture of a "bad guy" (a funny wild wild west figure) to give a "heads up" that this is a sight word. And the sight words are reviewed in quite a few different ways (fluency exercises, activities, and the story books).

Here is the list of words that are taught as sight words taught in Level 1: the, a, of, was, to, said, I, for, no, do. Five of the words (to, I, for, no, do) have notes by them saying that they are only treated as sight words because a particular sound hasn't been taught yet. For example, next to the word "to" is this note: "We are treating the word to as a sight word because it contains the third sounds of o, which has not been taught yet."

All other words taught in Level 1 are phonetic.

Oh bummer! That must mean they are not teaching all the sounds of a phonogram at one time. I love how organized their material is. I just wish it lined up better with how I teach reading.

Oh bummer! That must mean they are not teaching all the sounds of a phonogram at one time. I love how organized their material is. I just wish it lined up better with how I teach reading.

The multiple sounds are taught by the end of Level 1, and you can teach them all up front if you prefer. Some beginning readers are only ready to learn the first sound and begin using it in some words, and then will later add on the other sounds. So, you can do it either way!

Merry :-)