Menu

Looking for a digital SLR. Help, please ~

I am finally looking for a digital SLR camera. Currently I use my iPhone for all my pictures. While it actually takes great photos, and my blog would have none without it, I would love to have a really good camera to capture photos with.

Can you please give me your recommendations and why you like it? Nikon? Canon? Fuji? Other?

Thank you! :D

Hi,

I've been reading the forums for a long time, but I thought I had some definite experience to offer and it was time to come out of lurk :)

Are you sure you want a DSLR, or would a smaller "point and shoot" camera with many of the same controls of a DSLR work for you? Many of the smaller cameras let you set aperture and shutter speed and ISO - some of the models I've played with show you the immediate result of your choice on the LCD as you make your changes. The advantages here would be a cheaper price, smaller body, and no additional lenses to buy. You would have far greater control over your image than you are getting with a camera phone. A few of the other photographers I know have these types of cameras for when their full kit is impractical. The disadvantage is that you will be more limited in something like aperture (the model I tried ran from about 3.6 to 8).

If you are sure it is a DSLR set up you want, then Nikon and Canon are the two most commonly used brands and the most popular as a result. People get very wrapped up in the Nikon vs Canon debate. I think the advantage of choosing one of these two brands is that there are a lot of choices when it comes to lenses and equipment and you will have more luck finding good deals on new and used equipment such as lenses as a result. Both brands have done an excellent job of creating entry level DSLRs. I have Canon Rebel XSI and I adore it and it has been a fabulous body to learn on, but I'm sure I'd be just as in love with the Nikon equivalent. If I were starting out from scratch, I would take a serious look at the Sony Alphas as well, though, because the images I'm seeing out of them are unbelievable, and this friend had no experience prior to owning her Alpha. I think the other brands out there may make a good camera, but I really don't see a lot of them in the wild. I would be wary of going with one of the other brands of cameras just to get into a camera body simply because I think it could be hard to get the equipment you want later on. There are plenty of reviews out there if you want to try them, though.

Most entry level DSLR cameras are on cropped frame sensors. The full frame sensor cameras tend to be much more expensive and a bit larger in the body. I think it is very important to get out there and handle all kinds of SLR bodies as much as you can to get a feel for how they sit in your hands. A friend of mine went with her Nikon simply because the Canon Rebels were too small for her hands, and for me I find the larger cameras difficult to hold and operate. Something that is not comfortable will affect your shots and you are not going to want to be stuck with a body you don't like because of that.

Another option you can try is renting a camera kit from a place like glassandgear.com. I've used them before to rent lenses I'm considering purchasing and they are very easy to work with and work very hard to match their gear to your needs.

Many entry level cameras come with a kit lens. The kit lens is usually very good at being a general lens to help you discover what you want in your next lenses while you learn your camera. If you have to make a choice of a lens right away, I personally would buy one of the 50mm lenses known as the "Nifty Fifty" or "Fantastic Plastic". You'll find it for less that $130 and it will be fast, sharp, and let you learn a lot about your camera while getting some pretty great photos. (It's a prime, so you won't have a zoom, but this is why you'll learn a lot while you have it. I have some professional grade lenses now, but if I ever have a house fire, I'm replacing the $130 lens first....)

If you go with a DSLR, don't buy a bag right away. You won't know what you'll need in a bag until you've had it awhile. The camera will be ok in a towel or strip of bubble wrap until you discover most photographers' second hobby: searching endlessly for the perfect gear bag.:tongue_smilie:

I hope this helped some. There are a lot of reviews of gear out there, but I'd go get my hands on some of it before I did too much reading - it's nice to know you've handled the glass or body being discussed in a review.

Wow! Thank you. Can you use the Sony Alpha with different lenses? I'm a beginner, but I'm looking for a camera I can grow with. I definately want a DSLR instead of a smaller camera. I want something I can later control more features as I grow in ability. Does that make sense?

Hi' date='

I've been reading the forums for a long time, but I thought I had some definite experience to offer and it was time to come out of lurk :)

Are you sure you want a DSLR, or would a smaller "point and shoot" camera with many of the same controls of a DSLR work for you? Many of the smaller cameras let you set aperture and shutter speed and ISO - some of the models I've played with show you the immediate result of your choice on the LCD as you make your changes. The advantages here would be a cheaper price, smaller body, and no additional lenses to buy. You would have far greater control over your image than you are getting with a camera phone. A few of the other photographers I know have these types of cameras for when their full kit is impractical. The disadvantage is that you will be more limited in something like aperture (the model I tried ran from about 3.6 to 8).

If you are sure it is a DSLR set up you want, then Nikon and Canon are the two most commonly used brands and the most popular as a result. People get very wrapped up in the Nikon vs Canon debate. I think the advantage of choosing one of these two brands is that there are a lot of choices when it comes to lenses and equipment and you will have more luck finding good deals on new and used equipment such as lenses as a result. Both brands have done an excellent job of creating entry level DSLRs. I have Canon Rebel XSI and I adore it and it has been a fabulous body to learn on, but I'm sure I'd be just as in love with the Nikon equivalent. If I were starting out from scratch, I would take a serious look at the Sony Alphas as well, though, because the images I'm seeing out of them are unbelievable, and this friend had no experience prior to owning her Alpha. I think the other brands out there may make a good camera, but I really don't see a lot of them in the wild. I would be wary of going with one of the other brands of cameras just to get into a camera body simply because I think it could be hard to get the equipment you want later on. There are plenty of reviews out there if you want to try them, though.

Most entry level DSLR cameras are on cropped frame sensors. The full frame sensor cameras tend to be much more expensive and a bit larger in the body. I think it is very important to get out there and handle all kinds of SLR bodies as much as you can to get a feel for how they sit in your hands. A friend of mine went with her Nikon simply because the Canon Rebels were too small for her hands, and for me I find the larger cameras difficult to hold and operate. Something that is not comfortable will affect your shots and you are not going to want to be stuck with a body you don't like because of that.

Another option you can try is renting a camera kit from a place like glassandgear.com. I've used them before to rent lenses I'm considering purchasing and they are very easy to work with and work very hard to match their gear to your needs.

Many entry level cameras come with a kit lens. The kit lens is usually very good at being a general lens to help you discover what you want in your next lenses while you learn your camera. If you have to make a choice of a lens right away, I personally would buy one of the 50mm lenses known as the "Nifty Fifty" or "Fantastic Plastic". You'll find it for less that $130 and it will be fast, sharp, and let you learn a lot about your camera while getting some pretty great photos. (It's a prime, so you won't have a zoom, but this is why you'll learn a lot while you have it. I have some professional grade lenses now, but if I ever have a house fire, I'm replacing the $130 lens first....)

If you go with a DSLR, don't buy a bag right away. You won't know what you'll need in a bag until you've had it awhile. The camera will be ok in a towel or strip of bubble wrap until you discover most photographers' second hobby: searching endlessly for the perfect gear bag.:tongue_smilie:

I hope this helped some. There are a lot of reviews of gear out there, but I'd go get my hands on some of it before I did too much reading - it's nice to know you've handled the glass or body being discussed in a review.[/quote']

I've been trying to wrap my brain around what models of Nikon and Canon line up. I found an interesting fact which would impact on my decision on an entry level DSLR, so I'll share it. Hopefully it's all correct, but I'm sure others will fill in the bits that I have got wrong.

Canon cameras all have the auto focus motor in the body, so the lenses are totally backward and forward compatible with higher and lower models (until you get to full frame cameras which are a bit of a different beast again and slightly more complex)

My kind of vague understanding is that Nikon entry level cameras do not have the AF motor in the body but in the lens, this means that the lenses are not compatible with higher level cameras and vv. Potentially this is not really too much of an issue as you are not likely to really want to put an entry level lens on a better camera anyway, but if you may start to want to buy better lenses before upgrading your camera, it could be an issue. Hopefully someone can clarify exactly how it works.

I also agree with Fairymom that a 50mm 1.8 lens is a great purchase for not much $$ Mine pretty much lives on my camera.

Edited by keptwoman

Wow! Thank you. Can you use the Sony Alpha with different lenses? I'm a beginner, but I'm looking for a camera I can grow with. I definately want a DSLR instead of a smaller camera. I want something I can later control more features as I grow in ability. Does that make sense?

It makes total sense - I put a plug in for the fuller featured point and shoots because they are getting pretty sweet and I didn't know what your long range plans were.

Any SLR, digital or film, will allow you to change lenses. (The Sony Alpha is a DSLR - it has gotten a lot of reviews and discussion time in some of the photo mags in the last several months if your library carries them.) Some of the most recent models of DSLRs I've seen will actually walk you through taking a picture, I think, if you choose to have the feature on. The DSLR will have several modes, similar to a regular camera, on that top ring that let you choose how much control you will have over making the decisions regarding the settings for that shot. You can go from completely automatic to fully manual, or in between by doing something like controlling for one element such as aperture while the camera selects the shutter speed.

Just about every DSLR will have available additional guides or expanded manuals that can be very helpful in learning how to use your camera. The manual that comes with the camera will explain how to do something, but not WHY. I used the David Busch guide for my camera and it was money well invested. It's normal book size and has color photographs demonstrating the points covered. If you are a visual learner there are also DVDs put out for each camera model, too.

I'm a professional wedding photographer and have been both a Nikon and a Canon girl. Last year when I started working for the company I work for now I sold my entire Nikon get up. I had a full-frame Nikon D700 and I really did love it. Before that I had the Nikon D80 and we also had a D90. Way back before digital I had a Canon Rebel which I liked but alas, it wasn't digital. Now, my Nikon was wonderful. I thought I would have a hard time switching to Canon but I wanted to use at home what I was using on the job so I bought a Canon 5D MkII. Now, this is a professional camera and I wouldn't recommend it based solely on the price. However I do believe that the reasons I like it even more than I loved my Nikon would be true across the board for the lower end DSLRs as well. What I love most about the Canon is its intuitive design. Everything just feels right in your hand. The menus are much more accessible (and on a DSLR there are a LOT of things to manage in the menus if you decide to shoot in any other mode than auto -- which I recommend!) and intuitive than the Nikon.

The most important thing is to get a great lens. You can get a good camera but a *great* lens makes all the difference. A really good fixed focal length lens is the 50mm f1.8. It takes beautiful pictures and is really affordable. The f1.4 is nicer still but probably not nice enough for the price difference. When looking at zoom lenses, you really want to aim for anything with a low f stop number. Higher f stop lenses will end up being a pain in low light situations especially. (They are generally fine in ideal lighting conditions or when using flash but they do not make the most use of ambient/natural available light).

While I have little experience with the full line of Canon DSLRs I am sure you will find one that will suit you well in whatever price range you are looking at (which I realize you didn't mention). Having said all of this, you are bound to be happy going with either Canon or Nikon as they are both wonderful camera brands. You definitely want to hold them in your hands before you buy. You need to like the feel of it and like the "layout" makes sense to you.

I recommend buying the camera body separately from the lens and spend your real money on a quality lens. Lenses are an addiction!

Edited by nancypantsgirl

I'm in the dark ages with a Nikon D70 I've had for 6 years. I'm finally getting a new Nikon early next year and am curious about the discussion here because I need to start researching which one to get myself.

But one thing I did want to say is not to stress over Nikon vs Canon vs Sony or whichever brands you end up looking at. They are all going to be good cameras. One thing I've learned, with having to make due with very basic equipment for now, is that it's less about the equipment and more about knowing your camera, knowing how it works inside and out, reading (there are great photog blogs w lots of info and I'd recommend starting off with Brian Peterson's book Understanding Exposure), practicing, practicing, practicing, and doing whatever you can to extend your knowledge. (Classes, mentor, seeking out critique).

Also, I always hear to invest in lenses, not in the camera body, so keep that in mind too. Right now, I almost always use the 50 mm 1.8 that was mentioned previously, and it's a great starter lens, but I'm hoping for some new lenses next year too and plan to invest most of my photog budget in lenses.