Menu

I need turkey help with an electric roast pan please.

I just bought an electric roasting pan, 18 qt, to cook a turkey in for TG. I have never had one before and have only cooked about 4 turkeys in my life, in a regular oven. Can someone please give me tips on what to do. It is a 20 pound turkey if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

(I told my husband when we got married "I am not a gourmet chef but you won't starve to death" He was forewarned!)

I have one of those. I go to the Butterball website, enter the weight, and it tells me how long to cook it. Turn the roaster up to that temp and cook it for however long it says on the website. I cover mine in either butter and Herbes de Provence or bacon sweater. (with onion, carrot and celery all around it)

When it wears the bacon sweater it doesn't look as good, but it tastes AWESOME!

Warning- I have only cooked one turkey in an electric roaster before, so take my advice with a grain of salt.:tongue_smilie:

Last Thanksgiving we purchased an electric roaster thing (on sale) before a big family Thanksgiving. Turkey was completely defrosted. We injected it with a Cajun seasoning (really, really injected it) the night before. We stuffed him with a seasoned mixture of onions, bell pepper, garlic, and a stick of butter. About 10:00pm we put Tom (as I call all my Thanksgiving turkeys) in the roaster at 200 degrees. We let Tom cook all night, long and slow, and pulled him out at around 11:00am. He was juicy. He was tasty. He had flavor.

My best advice is to cook your turkey long and slow in a roaster. It totally worked for us.