Menu

Math U See Alpha: Doubles Plus 1???

grace'smom

We just did the math u see alpha lesson 14 and I don't get it. we're supposed to be showing the kids how 3 + 4 is the same as 3+3+1 in the idea that it will make adding easier for them. I don't really get it. I could see how the 5+6 as 5+5+1 might make things easier, but I don't get how say, 4+5 is easier to think of as 4+4+1. Are they setting something up for down the line? My daughter already does the "7 takes 3 from another number to make ten and whatever," and the same with 6 (she just took the 8 and 9 thing a step further on her own).

I am just wondering- if we skip this whole concept will it be harder for her later or is this one of those "helping tools" that is not necessary if it doesn't click for us...

Any advice? Thanks!!!!

I think it's really just supposed be like a rapid math trick. Double the smaller number and add one. So 2+3 is the same as doubleling the 2 and adding one. If you child has the doubles facts down than this simplifies adding for them. If you're child does know these facts, you may want to work on those first, otherwise I don't think it is totally critical. Saxon uses this also and it did help my ds.

hth:001_smile:

I don't think it's critical but I also wouldn't skip it. As you move in to higher levels of MUS concepts are often taught multiple ways to build understanding and to offer options for the student on how to work the problem. People think differently and what makes sense to one person won't necessarily click for another. I did find that when memorizing the facts it was helpful when dd was stuck on a problem like 4+5 to say, "well can you remember what 4+4 is" and she would then say, "ok, now I remember because 4+4 is 8 and 4+5 is 1 more so it's 9". You don't have to spend a lot of time on it but it is a good technique for figuring out the answer.

I don't think it's critical but I also wouldn't skip it. As you move in to higher levels of MUS concepts are often taught multiple ways to build understanding and to offer options for the student on how to work the problem. People think differently and what makes sense to one person won't necessarily click for another. I did find that when memorizing the facts it was helpful when dd was stuck on a problem like 4+5 to say, "well can you remember what 4+4 is" and she would then say, "ok, now I remember because 4+4 is 8 and 4+5 is 1 more so it's 9". You don't have to spend a lot of time on it but it is a good technique for figuring out the answer.

Ok, that's good to know. So this is a concept presented that maybe just doesn't click and that's OK because there are other ways. She just really has her math facts down and she partitions very well as a result of playing with C-rods, so it seems strange to both of us--like it's a partitioning exercise that doesn't have any of the other partitions listed, LOL.

Thanks so much for the advice!!!

Ok' date=' that's good to know. So this is a concept presented that maybe just doesn't click and that's OK because there are other ways. She just really has her math facts down and she partitions very well as a result of playing with C-rods, so it seems strange to both of us--like it's a partitioning exercise that doesn't have any of the other partitions listed, LOL.

Thanks so much for the advice!!![/quote']

If she already knows all her facts you might consider accelerating a little bit. We started doing that recently and it's working well. We watch the dvd and work a few problems together. If she gets the concept I let her take the test and we move on the next day. If she needs some work I use the D-F worksheets (since they include systematic review like the test) and test once she seems to get it. This means we're going through the book faster but dd seems to like it this way better.

Our program had this a while ago, I think. We didn't really understand it, and I don't think it's faster with my dd. But we didn't skip it. Knowing doubles is for sure very important. And the idea of doubling "plus" or "minus" a little can be very helpful later on, esp with multiplication and bigger numbers.

eta: knowing doubles PLUS seeing "close" numbers. Because kids will literally struggle with long-form subtraction over problems like 100-99 that, if you zoom out to see the big picture, are actually very simple to solve.