Menu

Best digital camera for pics AND movies

I have an old Canon digital camera with movie capability, and looking to upgrade, because the videos are blurry, probably not enough MPs. I also have a 5 yr old JVC digital/HD movie camera with compatability issues with 2 movie memory cards. I'm ready to throw in the towel on the movie camera. Now, I'm looking for a combo camera. How many MPs do I need for a good video?

What model is your favorite?

TIA,

I bought a Canon Powershot SX130 IS a couple of months ago (upgrading from our Fuji Finepix S5000, which we'd loved, until it finally died), and so far, we've been really pleased with it. It seems to do a very good job with the video capability (though we've not tried it a *ton* but it does zoom while recording, which is nice), and we've been pleased with the pictures. It should hold me until I can get a DSLR. :)

If you really want amazing video quality (and a good still camera) the Canon Rebel 2Ti is the consumer version of the Canon 7D and the related 5D cameras that have captured the excitement of independent filmmakers.

So this camera would be on the cheap-end of high-end.

Bill

Thank you for the suggestion. My problem is that I invested substantial monies ($900) into a digital Canon point- and- shoot and a separate HD hard drive digital camcorder 4 + 5 years ago, and the camcorder software is no longer working. Therefore, I am trying to avoid the same scenario in 4-5 years and just be happy with "adequate" and not "best", since I cannot afford the investment required every 4-5 years. So, now I will try to combine the 2 and sacrifice some things for the price I'm willing to pay every 2-3 yrs ($300 or less, mostly less).

I certainly WANT that camera, the Canon Rebel 2Ti, but that is above my price point and I fear a replay of my current problem, namely, kids growing up with no videos to document their accomplishments!

I'm currently looking at the Canon Powershot elph 300. Reviews say that it takes good pics and video. Anyone here agree with that?

Edited by bnbacademy

Thank you for the suggestion. My problem is that I invested substantial monies ($900) into a digital Canon point- and- shoot and a separate HD hard drive digital camcorder 4 + 5 years ago, and the camcorder software is no longer working. Therefore, I am trying to avoid the same scenario in 4-5 years and just be happy with "adequate" and not "best", since I cannot afford the investment required every 4-5 years. So, now I will try to combine the 2 and sacrifice some things for the price I'm willing to pay every 2-3 yrs ($300 or less, mostly less).

I certainly WANT that camera, the Canon Rebel 2Ti, but that is above my price point and I fear a replay of my current problem.

I'm currently looking at the Canon Powershot elph 300. Reviews say that it takes good pics and video. Anyone here agree with that?

Totally understandable. I just wanted to throw out the idea that there is a low-end of the high-end option.

Bill