Menu

Is FLL 3 more "to the point" than R&S Eng. 3?

abrightmom

DS 9 "gets it" pretty quickly. Retention is high in most subjects. I feel like we are wading through too much material though it may be necessary for long term retention (?!)

FLL 1 & 2 fit us well. I am thinking that FLL 3 might simplify English for him and he would like having those diagramming frames ready to fill in. :001_smile:

It also looks like FLL 3 gets to all parts of speech.

What am I missing? I know R and S is solid and I may just need to press into my kid with it. Is FLL more streamlined? We can always pick up with R and S down the line. There may be fewer differences than I am seeing. Grammar may be less fun for us than for others and we just need to stay the course.

Have you looked at MCT for him? I'll admit, I'm frustrated with the slowness and lack of depth in R&S (though I've only used 3 and 5)...

Yes. Quite a bit actually... I firmly believe that MCT fits this kid but it scares ME so I am still avoiding it.... :D. Bad Mom, Bad mom.

I am using FLL3 and find it easy to use and straight to the point. I haven't use R & S for comparison. There is still a lot of repetition of the definitions for the parts of speech. It is very similar to FLL 1 & 2 but with more written work and the diagramming. My daughter finds it easy but also enjoys the diagramming on the neat lines. Also, FWIW, you might look at both level 3 and 4 because based on research I did before we started either level will cover all the grammar basics. If you feel his current curriculum is a little to easy it might not hurt to bump him a level. I skipped FLL 2 and went straight to 3 and we're not having any issues.

Definitely!

We used R&S 3 last summer (beginning of 2nd grade with a just-turned-7-year-old). It was some new material, but some topics they'd have 2-3 lessons in a row on, and I had to combine the lessons into one because he just didn't need 3 lessons explaining tiny bits of the topic when DS could easily understand the topic all at once. We got through the first unit, and I finally jumped ship and switched to FLL3.

FLL3 is meatier. It has more grammar topics in it. It also typically does ONE lesson on a topic, then moves on to the next topic, while still incorporating review on the previous topic for a few lessons. It feels like it's moving well. It's still easy for DS, but it's been working nicely for him. The diagramming is VERY simple, leading you to each part, but DS is picking it up well. I was skeptical that he was just filling in the blanks of the diagram, but he really does understand what's going on. I also like that you diagram the whole sentence rather than just a skeleton. R&S 3 stuck with a very basic diagram for a LONG time. We're in the upper 30s of FLL3 lessons, and we've diagrammed nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, predicate nominatives, and predicate adjectives.

I agree that you might take a look at FLL4. I haven't seen it in person, but it looked very similar to level 3. I'm going to skip 4 next year since I'll be doing MCT Island (sorry! :lol:). Angela's schedule made it look doable to me. :D

Definitely!

We used R&S 3 last summer (beginning of 2nd grade with a just-turned-7-year-old). It was some new material, but some topics they'd have 2-3 lessons in a row on, and I had to combine the lessons into one because he just didn't need 3 lessons explaining tiny bits of the topic when DS could easily understand the topic all at once. We got through the first unit, and I finally jumped ship and switched to FLL3.

FLL3 is meatier. It has more grammar topics in it. It also typically does ONE lesson on a topic, then moves on to the next topic, while still incorporating review on the previous topic for a few lessons. It feels like it's moving well. It's still easy for DS, but it's been working nicely for him. The diagramming is VERY simple, leading you to each part, but DS is picking it up well. I was skeptical that he was just filling in the blanks of the diagram, but he really does understand what's going on. I also like that you diagram the whole sentence rather than just a skeleton. R&S 3 stuck with a very basic diagram for a LONG time. We're in the upper 30s of FLL3 lessons, and we've diagrammed nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, predicate nominatives, and predicate adjectives.

I agree that you might take a look at FLL4. I haven't seen it in person, but it looked very similar to level 3. I'm going to skip 4 next year since I'll be doing MCT Island (sorry! :lol:). Angela's schedule made it look doable to me. :D

This is what I needed to know... and despite my fear I admit to having MCT Island pencilled in for 4th grade...:D Still shaking in my boots though :001_smile:.

We are working through island alongside fll3. I plan to to finish sentence island an practice island around the time we finish FLL and the go through building

Language and music of the hemispheres during the summer. I can't envision using it as a stand alone. My original plan was to skip FLL 4 and go to the new book peace hill cancelled. Now I'm considering going with the next mct level as the stand alone. We'll just have to see.

I mean, does it teach parts of books, the dewey decimal system, etc.? Sorry to ask in this thread, but this is something I was wondering about with FLL3. I was thinking to do R&S next year, but hve been re-thinking. This thread is helping me see the difference. Thanks!

The first lesson is parts of the book. Library skills are not in level 3, though they're also not taught in R&S 3 either. Seems like they'd be easy to teach by just going to the library, talking to the librarian, etc.