Menu

How much review does AOPS - Algebra provide?

alisonslp

As I posted previously, we are putting away LOF Algebra for now as it just is not working. I *thought* I was going to go back to saxon, since we have it but I did more digging and I am really thinking AOPS now.

So, my question is whether to go back and review with pre-algebra since it is a new series or just go straight to algebra. I looked at the post test for pre-algebra and the kids have master about 75% of the topics covered. They have exposure to all of them but not full mastery of about 25%.

If AOPS Algebra does some review work, then I would feel comfortable moving forward with it (and relieved that I don't have to shell out another $60 for the pre-a book) but if it really just starts fresh in Algebra without review, then I am thinking I might have to get the pre-a and do some review. Also, LOF allows calculator use and I feel that was a mistake on my part to allow them to do it because they relied on it heavily and began forgetting some skills (exponents, square roots, dividing decimals, etc)

thanks for any insights.

alison

they relied on it heavily and began forgetting some skills (exponents, square roots, dividing decimals, etc)

I'm sure someone with more experience will pipe in momentarily, but I might as well share my thoughts, FWIW.

One of the themes of AoPS Prealgebra is finding the "lazy" (LOL) or "smart" way to evaluate expressions involving large numbers, particularly where exponents and the like are involved. No calculators, and thank goodness, because in this book, calculators would take away from really understanding these mathematical concepts. You might view the free Prealgebra videos. I am learning new things myself; dd starts ch 4 tomorrow. My intuition is that starting with the Prealgebra book is much more ideal than coming to AoPS at the Algebra level from another program. It's hard to imagine that going through the Prealgebra book wouldn't be useful in this particular situation, where there's time and the material has not been entirely mastered. It is likely to be deeper than their prior experience on the topics.

What about the Algebra pre-test? I would also look through the Algebra samples and the TOC to see whether it would provide sufficient review. It's not your typical math book, that's for sure.

They know everything on the pre-test for Algebra but as I have seen others mention who have gone through the course, the pre-test is overly simplistic and does not cover everything it should. I definitely am glad I looked at the post test for the pre-algebra. As for the table of contents, it's hard to see how much review is really in it because these topics build on each other year to year. For instance - exponents. There could be a review of basic exponents or it could start at a more advanced level.

Dr. Rusczyk has emailed me several times in the past few hours to help me decide and I am leaning toward the Pre-Algebra book at an accelerated pace. He recommended that the kids just do the problems at the end of each section to "show" they know the material. If they are getting stuck, then they need to review that section.

We definitely have plenty of time. Even if we take the rest of this school year to complete this book, they would be entering Algebra in 7th grade, which still gives plenty of time in high school for all of the advanced courses. But I am thinking they will speed through the pre-a book in 2-3 months and we will start the A book then. We will be working during the summer but at a much slower pace.

Thanks for the links to the videos. I am going to look at them.

Also, Dr. Rusczyk noted that he is working on the videos and Alcamus sections on the site for both Pre-A and A so that will give us more resources. It's sort of daunting paying so much for a book (we have only ever spent as high as about $30 for our math books) but it does look like a complete and in depth program and the site resources are a bonus.

It really depends on the kid, I think. I am giving opinions based on the Pre-A book, but if your child doesn't need a lot of review, then you're good. Otherwise, I think Alcumus would probably provide sufficient review, IMO. There are so many great resources for free problems online so you can always throw those in.

We are using the Algebra book. The first chapter (out of 20) was "review" of concepts, but it was still quite challenging. And my son went through Singapore 6B and NEM so he had covered all pre-algebra topics well. Depends on your kiddos and how comfortable they are taking leaps and what other curriculum you have used.

• 2 weeks later...

AoPS-Algebra has very minimal review. It is definitely a program that builds. I agree that the pre-test is light. If you question whether your child is ready, I would do the pre-algebra quickly to ensure a good foundation. A strong pre-algebra won't hurt, and will get him or her used to the way AoPS is structured.