Menu

Online programs BJU or Abeka?

lisamarie

We're pulling the kids out of school at Thanksgiving. DH wants me to do an online/computer based option because he thinks it will help my DD and I have less conflict. I am looking at BJU and Abeka (the only 2 affordable options I have found so far). Anyone have experience with these and can comment on how they worked for you?

I have only used BJU. My thoughts are based on the 2nd grade hard drive.

The Math teacher is fantastic! I also use the Bible, Reading and Science portion. I do spelling, handwriting and grammer so I can't comment about those.

It takes a long. time. The teaching portion on Math typically takes and hour since the students are expected to use the manipulatives to work out the problems. The pause is used a lot. So when it's all said and done and they complete the worktext and reviews. It is typically a 2-hour time frame. I am also happy with the Bible and reading. Science is also great and my children have done many of the experiments that she explains. Overall I am happy.

I am going to use it next year for my 6th grader, she is jealous!

Have you thought of something like Connections Academy? There are several online schools that are free if you are on a budget. They give you a computer and everything. A friend did BJU through all of HS and was very pleased. She went on to college with no problems.

I looked at CA, but the website said that students were expected to spend between 5-7 hrs a day on schoolwork, as in they had to document that much work time. That seemed extreme to me. I'm sure that some days we'll school that long, but not every day.

I do have a local friend who used BJU to HS her kids, plus their college distance program. I am leaning toward that one, but am still debating.

Really off topic question, maybe, but since your son is a year behind mine.... I thought I'd ask.... Does that mean that you'll drop what you're doing for Afterschooling? Seriously, if I had kids your age, I'd do what you're doing now and then just add a book basket idea. Looks like you're pretty much schooling now :) My son could NEVER do a whole BJU dvd day. Perhaps they're great later, but I would think about 5th or 6th grade... not 2nd :) I love SOTW with a project each week.

I'm doing this with our co-op with God's Design for Science (available for 1st thru 8th) and a handwriting program. This is a really full curriculum for my son.... along with listening to Jim Weiss cds, reading books that we have in our personal library (others might check out books ;)) and playing. :)

Just a thought :)

Really off topic question, maybe, but since your son is a year behind mine.... I thought I'd ask.... Does that mean that you'll drop what you're doing for Afterschooling? Seriously, if I had kids your age, I'd do what you're doing now and then just add a book basket idea. Looks like you're pretty much schooling now :) My son could NEVER do a whole BJU dvd day. Perhaps they're great later, but I would think about 5th or 6th grade... not 2nd :) I love SOTW with a project each week.

I'm doing this with our co-op with God's Design for Science (available for 1st thru 8th) and a handwriting program. This is a really full curriculum for my son.... along with listening to Jim Weiss cds, reading books that we have in our personal library (others might check out books ;)) and playing. :)

Just a thought :)

I'm coming to that conclusion. That what we have will work, that I just need 1-2 subjects on the computer and the rest we can do together. DS has a hard time when I try to teach him math so I think that's the first place to start--either Teaching Textbooks or get the Dive CD for saxon. Then buy just a single subject LA DVD or CD-ROM program. Those seem to be the 2 subjects that cause the most conflict for us (DS wants to be right all the time, and when I try to tell him something is wrong, he gets mad--those are the 2 subjects that have to be the most right all the time). The other subjects--science, social studies, history--he loves to read on his own and would be fine if I just gave him the books to read and did the occasional experiment or project.

DD, OTOH, fights me on everything so I am thinking computer-based is best except for the more fun subjects. But I'm still thinking about what to do for her.

If you're going separate.... a thought would be History with Veritas Press, which is really a fun cartoon but educational opportunity. If you had $$$ for BJU this should be reasonably priced. For Math, you could do what you're thinking... but Cybershala Math is something I'm going to do with my son when he's past me :)

Also, just getting the kid's cooperation seems like it might be a good idea. I'm reading the "Boundaries" series.... for my teen right now and next will get it for my younger child :) I think that when there's a problem teaching children "school" subjects... there are probably problems with how they are interacting with the parents in other areas. (Just a thought :))

I've heard good things about TT if that's the type of math you want :) I know that it gives time to watch... then work the problem :)

Your kids are so young!! Enjoy!! Believe me, you turn around and have teens! :)

I have also thought of Cybershala Math...however it is cost prohibitive for us. It runs $100/month. So if you figure on doing school for 8 months you are looking at $800/ year for just math and BJU runs about that for a whole grade including books. Just wanted to add that...