Menu

books about getting hurt?

MeganW

I am in the market for some books for my young 5 year old. This child has what she deems to be life-threatening injuries every 2 seconds. I have tried talking to her about it, ignoring, kissing & sending her on her way, etc.

There has to be one of those kids' books about social skills that addresses this.

Is this the child you are doing vision therapy with? If not, I'd be on the lookout, this is exactly how my son presented. He needed a lot of work on integrating primitive reflexes as well as the VT. (Our VT worked on both, but integrating reflexes was really key).

Sorry, no advice on books, this just jumped out at me!

Merry :-)

Maybe some books on worries? There are a lot of those... Scaredy Squirrel, all those old Mercer Meyer books, many of the Kevin Henkes books like Wemberly Worried... there's one called Courage by Bernard Weber that I really like. Not exactly it though... Huh. I'm not sure that I have seen a book that deals with that.

For sheer silliness:

Lady with the Alligator Purse (but you have to sing it!)

Weird Britishy one: I don't want to go to Hospital

Mother, Mother, I Feel Sick

Not all about injuries, but still... interesting.

What about Curious George goes to the Hospital? I don't usually like CG, but I make an exception for this one bc it's a classic book... :-)

Is this the child you are doing vision therapy with? If not, I'd be on the lookout, this is exactly how my son presented. He needed a lot of work on integrating primitive reflexes as well as the VT. (Our VT worked on both, but integrating reflexes was really key).

Sorry, no advice on books, this just jumped out at me!

Merry :-)

I have 4 kids total - 2 in VT, one on the VT waiting list. This is the 4th child - she has been thoroughly tested by the VT doctor (as the issues the other 3 have are genetic and we needed to check her just to be safe). Her scores were above average in every single area. Above all her older siblings' in most cases! So that's not it.

This kid is just my drama queen - classic baby of the family, times about a thousand. Doesn't seem to matter how much love & attention she gets, she always needs MORE.

I was outside working and an answer to this question just popped into my mind. You might want to check out Hurty Feelings. It is about a hippo that gets her feelings hurt and overreacts. I know it isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it does show the ridiculousness of overreacting. I hope that helps.

I was outside working and an answer to this question just popped into my mind. You might want to check out Hurty Feelings. It is about a hippo that gets her feelings hurt and overreacts. I know it isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it does show the ridiculousness of overreacting. I hope that helps.

THANKS!!