Menu

birth control question

I am in my 50s, so I looked into this many years ago.

At the time I was told that the pill works in multiple ways. It inhibits ovulation. That's the primary effect. It also causes changes in cervical mucous making it much less likely that sperm could ever reach an egg if one should be produced. Finally, it makes the uterine lining thinner, so if there should happen to be a fertilized egg, it's less likely to implant. As far as I know, taking birth control pills cannot cause a fertilized, implanted embryo to abort. I took bcpills for a time in my 20s.

I am in my 50s, so I looked into this many years ago.

At the time I was told that the pill works in multiple ways. It inhibits ovulation. That's the primary effect. It also causes changes in cervical mucous making it much less likely that sperm could ever reach an egg if one should be produced. Finally, it makes the uterine lining thinner, so if there should happen to be a fertilized egg, it's less likely to implant. As far as I know, taking birth control pills cannot cause a fertilized, implanted embryo to abort. I took bcpills for a time in my 20s.

The bold part is still considered aborting by various Christians, as we believe that life begins at conception, not implantation.

The underlined part, one has to wonder if it can cause the loss of an implanted embryo considering that you are to stop taking BCPs AS SOON AS you know you are pregnant and that the MAP, from my understanding, is a mega BCP dose.

FWIW, I've seen the argument made that a woman not using hormonal birth control is statistically much more likely to have "chemical pregnancies" (months where an egg is fertilized but fails to implant and is passed with the menstrual flow, basically) than a woman using BCPs, so overall the women on BCPs will (because the pill so greatly reduces the chance of ovulation and fertilization) is actually much less likely to have an egg fertilized and fail to implant than a woman who doesn't.

Now, you can argue that one is natural and one isn't, and that's fine. But, about 30-50% of fertilized eggs (and by some estimates more) naturally fail to implant.