Menu

Diary of Anne Frank?

If your children read this, what age/grade were they in?

My son is 12 and it is an assigned reading for his English class. I could substitute something else though.

He has had a lot to deal with in his short life (his father died when he was young) and I am not sure he is ready emotionally for what I find an amazing yet sad sad story.

If your children read this, what age/grade were they in?

My son is 12 and it is an assigned reading for his English class. I could substitute something else though.

He has had a lot to deal with in his short life (his father died when he was young) and I am not sure he is ready emotionally for what I find an amazing yet sad sad story.

What I have found is that 12 year olds process stories differently than adults do. For instance, ds was not depressed by The Long Winter but *I* was.(I read it aloud to him) (I don't recall it bothering me AT ALL when I read it as a child).. Same thing with Summer of the Monkeys....he was about 7 when I read that to him and he didn't 'get' why I could barely read because I was so weepy.

So I would probably let him read it.