Menu

Time off for new baby?

Just curious, how much time (if any) do you take off after the birth of a baby. I am due at the end of the month and trying to decide how long until we get back into the homeschool routine.

Also, while you were not schooling, what activities did you have for your children for entertainment? Seems my family gets a little stir crazy if we don't have some structure. I am looking for any and all suggestions to make things run as smoothly and peacefully as possible.

FYI, my children are 8, 6, and 5. Thanks much!!

I'd take at least a month totally off. Baby-bonding-time.

Then, I'd ease back into things, trying to minimize mom-intensive subjects for at least a few more months.

Crafts, board games, playing out in the yard, etc are decent options. When my last baby was born, I let the kids watch too many videos. I knew I'd messed up when about 3 weeks after she was born, my 3 year old got up, ate breakfast, and asked for a video. I said, well, how about after lunch? Let's do something else for now. He said, OK, and then sat down on the couch in the room with the TV, staring at the TV. He was intending to WAIT until LUNCH for the video! Just sitting there, in an empty (grown up living room) couch, waiting for the magic box!! So, I had to banish videos to detox for a week, lol. That said, I think excess videos are pretty harmless for a short period of time, so a handful of new movies would be on my list for kid entertainment. I'd plan a detox around the one month mark, lol.

Older kids can go to fun activities (indoor pool, play spaces, clubs/sports/etc) if there is a grandma or other helper to drive them. But, I'd personally rather stay home altogether for at least a month.

My oldest was just 6 when my littlest was born, but we were already schooling regularly. I think we took at least a month off. If I had it to do over again, I'd take at least that much time, no matter how old my kids were.

You have 2 perfect excuses to take at least a month off. Not only are you having a baby, but the Holidays are rapidly approaching. Baking, making cards, silly Christmas crafts, anything like that will keep kids occupied. And you know, you don't necessarily have to fill every moment of your kids' lives with "educational" activities. You are having a baby! It is perfectly ok to take a break. Babies are squishy but hard work. Yes, I understand that kids will rapidly fall into madness without some sort of activity. Buy a huge amount of craft supplies and set them loose. Download fun audiobooks. Most importantly, take care of yourself.

Congrats on the impending delivery!