Menu

Help! Saxon Math question: surds?

We are in Australia and have been using Saxon Maths successfully. However, DS15, in doing an Australian online maths programme (which covers the Aussie curriculum) came across surds, which appears to be a British term and not used in Saxon. He was able to work everything out but said he hadn't been taught division of surds in Saxon (he has just finished Algebra 2) eg. 5√20 divided by 6√5. (He has, however, covered, multiplication, addition etc...)

Can anyone tell me what the American term for surds is, and in what book they cover division of surds?

Thank you for helping this maths-impaired mum :glare:

We are in Australia and have been using Saxon Maths successfully. However, DS15, in doing an Australian online maths programme (which covers the Aussie curriculum) came across surds, which appears to be a British term and not used in Saxon. He was able to work everything out but said he hadn't been taught division of surds in Saxon (he has just finished Algebra 2) eg. 5√20 divided by 6√5. (He has, however, covered, multiplication, addition etc...)

Can anyone tell me what the American term for surds is, and in what book they cover division of surds?

The weird word (which I have never heard in my life) aside:

The division problem should fall under the general laws of exponents which should have been taught in pre-algebra, or at the very beginning of algebra 1.

5√20 divided by 6√5

can be simplified by using the fact that 20=4*5,

so √20=√(4*5)=2√5

hence

5√20 divided by 6√5 = 5*2√5/(6√5)= 10/6=5/3

I would be surprised if laws of exponents and simplifying square roots have not been covered until algebra 2.

According to the TOC (we are not using the book) Saxon Algebra 1 covers laws of exponents in several lessons throughout the book.

Edited by regentrude

Multiplication and division of radicals is covered in Saxon Algebra 1. I've never heard of the term "surds" either.

Lessons 36, 63, 66 (simplification of radical expressions), 78, 84, 108, 112, and 116 are the ones which apply.

Division of exponents is covered in lesson 111 of Saxon 8/7.

Edited by Teachin'Mine