Menu

Kindle Fire and pdfExpert equivalent? Please let there be one.

Have you seen the Fire yet? I'm leaning towards an ipad for dd but planned to look at the Fire first. I'm wondering about the screen size compared to the ipad. Several other tablets we looked at just weren't big enough. Even with the IPAD dd can't write on the screen small enough to work on the whole page at once. We have to zoom in which works well in noterize. I find the noterize app works better for us for her writing than pdf expert and it's free. I realize I didn't answer your question but you might confrm whether there is an android noterize app.

Edited by acurtis75@yahoo.com

Have you seen the Fire yet. I'm leaning towards an ipad for dd but planned to look at the Fire first. I'm wondering about the screen size compared to the ipad. Several other tablets we looked at just weren't big enough. Even with the IPAD dd can't write on the screen small enough to work on the whole page at once. We have to zoom in which works well in noterize. I find the noterize app works better for us for her writing than pdf expert and it's free. I realize I didn't answer your question but you might confrm whether there is an android noterize app.

You're right, the screen size for both may not be big enough since I have a DD who writes big and sometimes SM's workbook does not provide enough space for her. In fact, the Kindle DX's screen is 9.7" the same as an iPad's, I believe. And the Fire is 7". I would have to zoom in for each MM problem.

Thank YOU for the tip on PDF Expert. We may have to purchase that for our iPads.

Please let us know if you find anything interesting for Android.

FYI I use PDF Expert if I need to type in a document for business purposes because it works better for typing. I also use it for recipes when I shop because there's a strike through option to mark out things I've already purchased.

If I want to write on something or let dd write on something I use Noterize. There is a nifty feature in the app which allows you to click the screen twice to switch between annotation mode and whatever you call the mode where you can't annotate but you can zoom in and out. It is extremely beneficial to be able to do this while taking notes and/or working on worksheets. Also, it allows you to easily add an additional page to your notes. The page can either be a lined yellow or white pad sheet, plain white paper or several other options. One of the cool things I do with the app is to use it in conjuntion with pdf convertor app which allows you to convert photographs in to pdf's. Whenever I'm in a setting where I'm handed a page of notes (like Bible Study or a business meeting or when I am away from my scanner but need to get a math sheet to pdf for us to work on) I take a picture of the page. Convert it to PDF in PDF Convertor then Open with Noterize. I can then take notes on the sheet plus add additional note pages as necessary. Noterize works well for writing in cursive with a stylus in zoom mode. I may never take notes on an actual piece of paper again.:lol:

You're right, the screen size for both may not be big enough since I have a DD who writes big and sometimes SM's workbook does not provide enough space for her. In fact, the Kindle DX's screen is 9.7" the same as an iPad's, I believe. And the Fire is 7". I would have to zoom in for each MM problem.

I can't remember which tablet we looked at that was 7" but when we actually started playing with it in the store it was just too small for us to work with. I would definately say try before you buy. I think RegGuheert already orderd the Fire and plans to review it soon. It may be fine but I just find the ipad's convenient for us because it's almost as big as an actual sheet of paper.

FYI I use PDF Expert if I need to type in a document for business purposes because it works better for typing. I also use it for recipes when I shop because there's a strike through option to mark out things I've already purchased.

If I want to write on something or let dd write on something I use Noterize. There is a nifty feature in the app which allows you to click the screen twice to switch between annotation mode and whatever you call the mode where you can't annotate but you can zoom in and out. It is extremely beneficial to be able to do this while taking notes and/or working on worksheets. Also, it allows you to easily add an additional page to your notes. The page can either be a lined yellow or white pad sheet, plain white paper or several other options. One of the cool things I do with the app is to use it in conjuntion with pdf convertor app which allows you to convert photographs in to pdf's. Whenever I'm in a setting where I'm handed a page of notes (like Bible Study or a business meeting or when I am away from my scanner but need to get a math sheet to pdf for us to work on) I take a picture of the page. Convert it to PDF in PDF Convertor then Open with Noterize. I can then take notes on the sheet plus add additional note pages as necessary. Noterize works well for writing in cursive with a stylus in zoom mode. I may never take notes on an actual piece of paper again.:lol:

Thanks for the tips on these tools! I would love to be able to get rid of paper notes! I've tried to learn how to do these things, but I've struggled with the applications I have tried. I'll have a look!

Thanks for the tips on these tools! I would love to be able to get rid of paper notes! I've tried to learn how to do these things, but I've struggled with the applications I have tried. I'll have a look!

It takes a little getting used to and I'm pretty sure there's a whole bunch of functionality I'm not using but now that I'm used to it I love it.

One thing that buggs me about pdf expert is that there's no way to change file names. You can do that in noterize.

Can we use Noterize or pdf Expert to create more room for vintage books from Google? I've seen some neat Latin and Greek books on Google, but there is no room to write in answers. Could I use these apps to create some white space?

By the way, when you say type in a document in pdf Expert, are you saying that if there are some blank spaces to fill in, let's say a lease agreement, I can type in the term, rent amount, additional provisions wherever there is space?

Just a note on Noterize: As of yesterday (Nov. 7) it appears that the name of this application has been changed to PaperPort Notes. Is this the right app? (If so, I must say they changed from a clever name to a dumb one! :confused:)

ETA: Perhaps they got bought? I see some PC software called PaperPort when I search on Amazon.

Edited by RegGuheert

Can we use Noterize or pdf Expert to create more room for vintage books from Google? I've seen some neat Latin and Greek books on Google, but there is no room to write in answers. Could I use these apps to create some white space?

If you want to write notes (not type) noterize will work on anything that is a pdf or webpage. You can import web documents and files from dropbox or other storage locations. I haven't really used google books so I'm not sure whether you can export things from there or not.

By the way, when you say type in a document in pdf Expert, are you saying that if there are some blank spaces to fill in, let's say a lease agreement, I can type in the term, rent amount, additional provisions wherever there is space?

Yes, but it takes some zooming and trial and error to get text on the line properly. You can also select the text and delete it if necessary. There are options for circling and making arrows next to things too which is handy for pointing out where to sign.

Just a note on Noterize: As of yesterday (Nov. 7) it appears that the name of this application has been changed to PaperPort Notes. Is this the right app? (If so, I must say they changed from a clever name to a dumb one! :confused:)

ETA: Perhaps they got bought? I see some PC software called PaperPort when I search on Amazon.

Just looked in the app store and it's the same app. I agree the original name was better but it looks like it still works the same. I also see on the screen shot an import option that says "image from camera" which is not available in my version. I'll have to figure out how to upgrade if that's available because it would save the whole pdf converter step.

Yes, but it takes some zooming and trial and error to get text on the line properly. You can also select the text and delete it if necessary. There are options for circling and making arrows next to things too which is handy for pointing out where to sign.

Ah, I see. There is that professional version of Acrobat that costs $200 and upwards, which I just cannot buy, so trial and error, if not too time-consuming, is fine with me.

I have this software for scanning documents. Same company, same name.

Ah, I see. There is that professional version of Acrobat that costs $200 and upwards, which I just cannot buy, so trial and error, if not too time-consuming, is fine with me.

I noticed on the new paperport version a person mentioned in the review section highlighting pdf textbooks so I bet there's a way to gets books in there somehow. You might be able to do the "insert web capture" option which is available to insert a new page in an existing note set if you are viewing the book online. I also realized after I downloaded the new version which had the instruction page that I skipped over without reading the first time that you can type on the lines too.

I noticed on the new paperport version a person mentioned in the review section highlighting pdf textbooks so I bet there's a way to gets books in there somehow. You might be able to do the "insert web capture" option which is available to insert a new page in an existing note set if you are viewing the book online. I also realized after I downloaded the new version which had the instruction page that I skipped over without reading the first time that you can type on the lines too.

Okay, this is a kind of beyond my understanding, but I'm sure I'll understand this feature once I get an iPad :D. Thanks for going into so many details in your responses.