Menu

ETC scheduling

Amanda_Jo

I'm working on our Fall schedule. DD is finishing up the Get Ready books this month; she'll be in K next year. How many ETC books are usually covered in one year? She did A, B, and C in less than a year. Should I expect for her to finish 1-3 next year, or just 1 and 2, or what? Though she's only done the Get Ready books she's already reading a few three letter words.

Thanks!

Do what works for you! I required my 5yo to do 2 pages per day, 4-5 days per week (we took 2 Fridays off per month). At this pace, we finished a book in 12 weeks (3 months). We started book 1 in Dec, finished it in March, started book 2 in March and finished end of May. If we had started this in Sept, we could've easily fiinished 3 books before summer. I decided to switch her to BJU for 1st grade next fall - because of what BJU teaches in K, I thought it would be better to do ETC 3 before moving on to 1st grade. But I think most people would consider books 1 & 2 enough phonics for K. Also - at first my dd was very slow to read sentences. Sometimes her 2 pages for the day had all sentences on both pages. I switched pages around so that she had 1 sentence reading page, and 1 writing page for that day. Or, if the sentences were too overwhelming, I'd only have her do half of the sentence page in addition to 1 writing page. This made it very do-able for her. Now she is able to do 2 sentence reading pages in one day (but seems a little tired by the end!) So don't be afraid to take it at your dd's pace, and mix up the pages a bit.

With the A, B, and C level books she's been completing an entire letter in one sitting. She loves it so much!

I want to coordinate her new ETC levels with Happy Phonics and starfall.com

Maybe instead of writing that in my planbook I should just put sticky notes on the ETC pages if I want her to do a starfall or happy phonics activity with the page as a reminder to myself.

I don't schedule ETC. We just do however many pages ds can handle. The number varies from day to day. We started ETC in Jan and he is halfway through Book 3. He is starting to slow down his pace now so I think we won't be going through the books at breakneck speed like we were in the past.

I never scheduled them, either. We just did 2-3 a day.

Except for my eager beaver K son who, without my realizing it, did the entire ETC 1 book in 4 days!

Funny story- to motivate her son, my friend told her son that when he finished his book, she'd get him a webkin. She was thinking it would be 2 months. So all day long, she saw him taking the book from room to room. That night, he came flying out of the room at 9 oclock, waving his book around. He finished in one day! He did it correctly too. I laughed so hard :)

I'm working on our Fall schedule. DD is finishing up the Get Ready books this month; she'll be in K next year. How many ETC books are usually covered in one year? She did A, B, and C in less than a year. Should I expect for her to finish 1-3 next year, or just 1 and 2, or what? Though she's only done the Get Ready books she's already reading a few three letter words.

Thanks!

With the one I have who's doing ETC, we're doing 3 pgs per day 5 day a week, and he's reading to someone else in the evenings. So that's around 6 wks per book. Even calling it 2 mo per book, that's a rate for 6 books per year.

She should finish at least 2-3 books per year to stay on grade level!